How Ceo Attributes Affect Firm R&D Spending? New Evidence From A Panel Of French Firms
AbstractThis study investigates empirically the relationship between CEO attributes and R&D spending. Using a sample of French firms listed on Euronext Paris, the empirical results indicate an inverted U-shaped relationship between R&D spending and both CEO's tenure and age suggesting the existence of a critical CEO age and a critical point in time over CEO tenure at a firm before which CEO increases the amount spent in R&D activities and after which CEO begins to exhibit investment myopia by gradually reducing the amount spent in R&D activities. Furthermore, we find a U-shaped relationship between R&D spending and CEO ownership; R&D spending is negatively (positively) associated with CEO ownership at low (high) levels of CEO stockholding. This result implies that at low levels of CEO ownership, an increase in CEO ownership exacerbates CEO myopia and the under-investment problem with regard to R&D activities. However, at high levels of CEO ownership, CEO becomes more willing to invest in risky R&D projects which may reflect a closer alignment of managers' and shareholders' interests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00479532.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, Crises et nouvelles problématiques de la Valeur, 2010, Nice, France
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00479532/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Dépenses de R&D; attributs du dirigeant; théorie de l'agence; upper-echelons perspective;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Gamble, John E., 2000. "Management commitment to innovation and esop stock concentration," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 433-447.
- Lewellen, Wilbur & Loderer, Claudio & Martin, Kenneth, 1987. "Executive compensation and executive incentive problems : An empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 287-310, December.
- David Hirshleifer, 1993. "Managerial Reputation and Corporate Investment Decisions," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(2), Summer.
- Beatriz Garcia Osma, 2008. "Board Independence and Real Earnings Management: The Case of R&D Expenditure," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 116-131, 03.
- Kevin J. Murphy & Robert Gibbons, 1993.
"Does Executive Compensation Affect Investment?,"
NBER Working Papers
4135, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Caralt, 2005.
"Ownership structure and innovation: is there a real link?,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 637-662, December.
- Raquel Ortega & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Surinach, 2003. "Ownership Structure and Innovation: Is There a Real Link?," ERSA conference papers ersa03p213, European Regional Science Association.
- Raquel Ortega Argiles & Rosina Moreno Serrano & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 2004. "Ownership structure and innovation: Is there a real link," Working Papers in Economics 111, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Danny Miller, 1991. "Stale in the Saddle: CEO Tenure and the Match Between Organization and Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 34-52, January.
- Berger, Philip G & Ofek, Eli & Yermack, David L, 1997.
" Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1411-38, September.
- Philip E. Berger & Eli Ofek & David Yermack, 1996. "Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Cho, Myeong-Hyeon, 1998. "Ownership structure, investment, and the corporate value: an empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 103-121, January.
- Marshall, James P. & Sorenson, Ritch & Brigham, Keith & Wieling, Elizabeth & Reifman, Alan & Wampler, Richard S., 2006. "The paradox for the family firm CEO: Owner age relationship to succession-related processes and plans," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 348-368, May.
- Kenneth M. Lehn & Mengxin Zhao, 2006. "CEO Turnover after Acquisitions: Are Bad Bidders Fired?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 1759-1811, 08.
- Narayanan, M P, 1985. " Managerial Incentives for Short-term Results," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1469-84, December.
- Jonathan Eaton & Harvey S. Rosen, 1984.
"Agency, Delayed Compensation, and the Structure of Executive Remuneration,"
NBER Working Papers
0777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Rosen, Harvey S, 1983. " Agency, Delayed Compensation, and the Structure of Executive Remuneration," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1489-1505, December.
- F. M. Scherer, 1986. "Innovation and Growth: Schumpeterian Perspectives," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262691027, December.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Jouahn Nam & Richard E. Ottoo & John H. Thornton Jr., 2003. "The Effect of Managerial Incentives to Bear Risk on Corporate Capital Structure and R&D Investment," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 77-101, 02.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- Aloke Ghosh & Doocheol Moon & Kishore Tandon, 2007. "CEO Ownership and Discretionary Investments," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(5-6), pages 819-839.
- Dechow, Patricia M. & Sloan, Richard G., 1991. "Executive incentives and the horizon problem : An empirical investigation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 51-89, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Ho-Uk Lee & Jong-Hun Park, 2008. "The Influence of Top Management Team International Exposure on International Alliance Formation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(5), pages 961-981, 07.
- Hirshleifer, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992. "Managerial Conservatism, Project Choice, and Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 437-70.
- Walters, Bruce A. & Kroll, Mark J. & Wright, Peter, 2007. "CEO tenure, boards of directors, and acquisition performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 331-338, April.
- Murphy, Kevin J. & Zimmerman, Jerold L., 1993. "Financial performance surrounding CEO turnover," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-3), pages 273-315, April.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.