Managerial Reputation and Corporate Investment Decisions
AbstractThis review examines the incentives of managers to use investment choices as a tool for building their personal reputations or the reputation of their firms. These incentives come in three main forms: visibility bias, which encourages a manager to try to make short-term indicators of success look better; resolution reference which encourages a manager to try to advance the arrival of good news and delay bad news; and mimicry and avoidence, which encourages a manager to take the actions that the best managers are seen to do, and to avoid the actions the worst managers are seen to do.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emilia Peni, 2014. "CEO and Chairperson characteristics and firm performance," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 185-205, February.
- Grant, Simon & King, Stephen & Polak, Ben, 1996.
" Information Externalities, Share-Price Based Incentives and Managerial Behaviour,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Simon Grant & Stephen King & Ben Polak, 1995. "Information Externalities, Share-Price Based Incentives and Managerial Behaviour," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1107, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Effinger, Matthias R. & Polborn, Mattias K., 2001. "Herding and anti-herding: A model of reputational differentiation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 385-403, March.
- Gérard Charreaux, 2000. "L'approche économico-financière de l'investissement: une vision critique," Working Papers CREGO 1000501, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Jian, Ming & Lee, Kin Wai, 2011. "Does CEO reputation matter for capital investments?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 929-946, September.
- Sellami Basma, 2008. "Gouvernement D'Entreprise Et Investissement En R&D : Une Etude Sur Le Sbf 250," Post-Print halshs-00525983, HAL.
- Basma Sellami Mezghanni, 2010. "How Ceo Attributes Affect Firm R&D Spending? New Evidence From A Panel Of French Firms," Post-Print hal-00479532, HAL.
- Loss, Frédéric & Renucci, Antoine, 2008. "Reputation Capital, Financial Capital, and Transition to Entrepreneurship," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2945, Paris Dauphine University.
- Peter Wright & Mark Kroll, 2002. "Executive Discretion and Corporate Performance as Determinants of CEO Compensation, Contingent on External Monitoring Activities," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 189-214, September.
- Han, Bing & Hirshleifer, David & Persons, John, 2005.
"Promotion Tournaments and Capital Rationing,"
Working Paper Series
2005-20, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Gérard Charreaux, 1996. "Pour une véritable théorie de la latitude managériale et du gouvernement des entreprises," Working Papers CREGO 0960601, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Peter Wright & Mark Kroll & Ananda Mukherji & Michael Pettus, 2009. "Do the contingencies of external monitoring, ownership incentives, or free cash flow explain opposing firm performance expectations?," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 215-243, August.
- Florence Busson-Villa, 2000. "La Gestion Des Risques Dans Les Communes," Post-Print halshs-00587433, HAL.
- Lin, Chen & Lin, Ping & Song, Frank M. & Li, Chuntao, 2011. "Managerial incentives, CEO characteristics and corporate innovation in China's private sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 176-190, June.
- Ammon, Norbert, 1998. "Why Hedge? - A Critical Review of Theory and Empirical Evidence -," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-18, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dhillon, Upinder S. & Noe, Thomas & Ramirez, Gabriel G., 2007. "Debtor-in-possession financing and the resolution of uncertainty in Chapter 11 reorganizations," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 238-260, October.
- Bizer, Kilian & Meub, Lukas & Proeger, Till & Spiwoks, Markus, 2014. "Strategic coordination in forecasting: An experimental study," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 195, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Basma Sellami Mezghanni, 2009. "Investissement En R&D Et Performance De L'Entreprise : L'Effet Moderateur De La Gouvernance D'Entreprise," Post-Print halshs-00459415, HAL.
- Elena Panova, 2009. "Confirmatory News," Cahiers de recherche 0912, CIRPEE.
- Ryan, Harley Jr. & Wiggins, Roy III, 2001. "The influence of firm- and manager-specific characteristics on the structure of executive compensation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 101-123, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.