Stale in the Saddle: CEO Tenure and the Match Between Organization and Environment
AbstractIt has often been argued that an organization's strategy and structure must be tailored or matched to the challenges posed by its environment. Our research shows that this match is less likely to be achieved by long-tenured CEO's than by their counterparts with less tenure. It also suggests that the failure to match strategy and environment hurts financial performance. More specifically, CEO tenure related inversely to the prescribed match between organization and environment, especially in uncertain settings and where ownership was concentrated. The match between environment and strategy was in turn positively related to financial performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 37 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
leadership; organizational adaptation; fit between organization and environment; CEO tenure;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hu, Zhining & Zheng, Jianghuai & Wang, Jialing, 2011. "Impact of industrial linkages on firm performance in development zones," MPRA Paper 33127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chowdhury, Sanjib & Miles, Grant, 2006. "Customer-induced uncertainty in predicting organizational design: Empirical evidence challenging the service versus manufacturing dichotomy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 121-129, January.
- Hou, Wanrong & Li, Sali & Priem, Richard L., 2013. "How do CEOs matter? The moderating effects of CEO compensation and tenure on equity ownership in international joint ventures," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 138-151.
- Olie,René & Heijltjes,Mariëlle G. & Glunk,Ursula, 2003. "Continuity And Renewal At The Top: Performance Effects Of The Level, Extent, Type And Frequency Of Top Management Team Changes," Research Memorandum 059, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Musteen, Martina & Barker III, Vincent L. & Baeten, Virginia L., 2006. "CEO attributes associated with attitude toward change: The direct and moderating effects of CEO tenure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 604-612, May.
- Weiwen Li & Yuan Lu, 2012. "CEO dismissal, institutional development, and environmental dynamism," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 1007-1026, December.
- Basma Sellami Mezghanni, 2010. "How Ceo Attributes Affect Firm R&D Spending? New Evidence From A Panel Of French Firms," Post-Print hal-00479532, HAL.
- Daniel Hogele & Sascha L. Schmidt & Benno Torgler, 2012.
"The Influence of Superstars on Organizational Identification of External Stakeholders: Empirical Findings from Professional Soccer,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
294, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Daniel HÃ¶gele & Sascha L. Schmidt & Benno Torgler, 2012. "The Influence of Superstars on Organizational Identification of External Stakeholders: Empirical Findings from Professional Soccer," CREMA Working Paper Series 2012-18, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Barker, Vincent III & Barr, Pamela S., 2002. "Linking top manager attributions to strategic reorientation in declining firms attempting turnarounds," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(12), pages 963-979, December.
- Hsu, Wen-Tsung & Chen, Hsiang-Lan & Cheng, Chia-Yi, 2013. "Internationalization and firm performance of SMEs: The moderating effects of CEO attributes," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 1-12.
- Orens, Raf & Reheul, Anne-Mie, 2011. "Do CEO Demographics Explain Cash Holdings in SMEs?," Working Papers 2011/35, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Madinah Hamidullah & Vicky Wilkins & Kenneth Meier, 2009. "Looking for Their Dick Vermeil: How Prior Performance Influences the Selection Decision," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Chowdhury, Sanjib, 2011. "The moderating effects of customer driven complexity on the structure and growth relationship in young firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 306-320, May.
- Walters, Bruce A. & Kroll, Mark J. & Wright, Peter, 2007. "CEO tenure, boards of directors, and acquisition performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 331-338, April.
- Bergeron, François & Raymond, Louis & Rivard, Suzanne, 2001. "Fit in strategic information technology management research: an empirical comparison of perspectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 125-142, April.
- Hsiang-Lan Chen & Wen-Tsung Hsu & Yen-Sheng Huang, 2010. "Top management team characteristics, R&D investment and capital structure in the IT industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 319-333, October.
- Li, Yan & Tan, Chuan-Hoo, 2013. "Matching business strategy and CIO characteristics: The impact on organizational performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 248-259.
- Cheng, Louis T.W. & Chan, Ricky Y.K. & Leung, T.Y., 2010. "Management demography and corporate performance: Evidence from China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 261-275, June.
- Lin, Chen & Lin, Ping & Song, Frank M. & Li, Chuntao, 2011. "Managerial incentives, CEO characteristics and corporate innovation in China's private sector," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 176-190, June.
- Wijbenga, Frits H. & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen, 2007. "Entrepreneurial locus of control and competitive strategies - The moderating effect of environmental dynamism," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 566-589, October.
- Miller, Danny & Steier, Lloyd & Le Breton-Miller, Isabelle, 2003. "Lost in time: intergenerational succession, change, and failure in family business," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 513-531, July.
- Jorissen A. & Reheul A.-M. & Laveren E. & Martens R., 2006. "Short-Term Planning Sophistication in SMEs: The Relationship with Strategy and Perceived Environmental Uncertainty," Working Papers 2006022, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Zarutskie, Rebecca, 2010. "The role of top management team human capital in venture capital markets: Evidence from first-time funds," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 155-172, January.
- Boone, C.A.J.J. & Brabander, B. de & Witteloostuijn, A. van, 1996. "CEO locus of control and small firm performance: an integrative framework and empirical test," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373484, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.