Stochastic stability in the Scarf economy
AbstractWe present a mathematical model for the analysis of the bargaining games based on private prices used by Gintis to simulate the dynamics of prices in exchange economies, see [Gintis 2007]. We then characterize, in the Scarf economy, a class of dynamics for which the Walrasian equilibrium is the only stochastically stable state. Hence, we provide dynamic foundations for general equilibrium for one of the best-known example of instability of the tâtonement process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00748328.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00748328
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
General Equilibrium; exchange economies; bargaining games; stochastic stability.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schecter, Stephen, 1977. "Accessibility of optima in pure exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 197-216, December.
- Ellison, Glenn, 2000. "Basins of Attraction, Long-Run Stochastic Stability, and the Speed of Step-by-Step Evolution," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(1), pages 17-45, January.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc, 1994. "Accessibility of Pareto optima by Walrasian exchange processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 585-603, November.
- Herbert Gintis, 2007. "The Dynamics of General Equilibrium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1280-1309, October.
- D. Fudenberg & C. Harris, 2010.
"Evolutionary Dynamics with Aggregate Shocks,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
496, David K. Levine.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1973. "Do Walras' identity and continuity characterize the class of community excess demand functions?," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-354, August.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00634656 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herings, P.J.J., 1994.
"A globally and universally stable price adjustment process,"
1994-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jean-Jacques Herings, P., 1997. "A globally and universally stable price adjustment process," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 163-193, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.