An Econometric Study of Vine Copulas
AbstractWe present a new recursive algorithm to construct vine copulas based on an underlying tree structure. This new structure is interesting to compute multivariate distributions for dependent random variables. We proove the asymptotic normality of the vine copula parameter estimator and show that all vine copula parameter estimators have comparable variance. Both results are crucial to motivate any econometrical work based on vine copulas. We provide an application of vine copulas to estimate the VaR of a portfolio, and show they offer significant improvement as compared to a benchmark estimator based on a GARCH model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00492124.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00492124
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Vines; multivariate copulas; risk management.;
Other versions of this item:
- Dominique Guegan & Pierre-André Maugis, 2010. "An Econometric Study of Vine Copulas," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10040, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C40 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Hassani, 2012. "Multivariate VaRs for Operational Risk Capital Computation: a Vine Structure Approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00587706, HAL.
- Dominique Guegan & Bertrand Hassani, 2011. "Multivariate VaRs for Operational Risk Capital Computation: a Vine Structure Approach," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11017, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.