Financial Dependence Analysis: Applications of Vine Copulae
AbstractThis paper features the application of a novel and recently developed method of statistical and mathematical analysis to the assessment of financial risk: namely Regular Vine copulas. Dependence modeling using copulas is a popular tool in financial applications, but is usually applied to pairs of securities. Vine copulas offer greater flexibility and permit the modelling of complex dependency patterns using the rich variety of bivariate copulas which can be arranged and analysed in a tree structure to facilitate the analysis of multiple dependencies. We apply Regular Vine copula analysis to a sample of stocks comprising the Dow Jones Index to assess their interdependencies and to assess how their correlations change in different economic circumstances using three different sample periods: pre-GFC (Jan 2005- July 2007), GFC (July 2007-Sep 2009), and post-GFC periods (Sep 2009 - Dec 2011). The empirical results suggest that the dependencies change in a complex manner, and there is evidence of greater reliance on the Studentt copula in the copula choice within the tree structures for the GFC period, which is consistent with the existence of larger tails in the distributions of returns for this period. One of the attractions of this approach to risk modelling is the flexibility in the choice of distributions used to model co-dependencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales in its series Documentos del Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico with number 2013-05.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Regular Vine Copulas; Tree structures; Co-dependence modelling.;
Other versions of this item:
- David E Allen & Mohammad.A. Ashraf & Michael McAleer & Robert J Powell & Abhay K Singh, 2013. "Financial Dependence Analysis: Applications of Vine Copulae," KIER Working Papers 843, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- David E. Allen & Mohammad A. Ashraf & Michael McAleer & Robert J. Powell & Abhay K. Singh, 2013. "Financial Dependence Analysis: Applications of Vine Copulae," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-022/III, Tinbergen Institute.
- David E Allen & Mohammad A. Ashraf & Michael McAleer & Robert Powell & Abhay Kumar Singh, 2013. "Financial Dependence Analysis: Applications of Vine Copulae," Working papers 2013-03, Edith Cowan University, School of Business.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chrismin Tang & Mardi Dungey & Vance Martin & Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Renee Fry, 2010.
"Are Financial Crises Alike?,"
IMF Working Papers
10/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Chollete, Loran & Heinen, Andreas & Valdesogo, Alfonso, 2008.
"Modeling International Financial Returns with a Multivariate Regime Switching Copula,"
8114, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lorán Chollete & Andréas Heinen & Alfonso Valdesogo, 2009. "Modeling International Financial Returns with a Multivariate Regime-switching Copula," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(4), pages 437-480, Fall.
- Chollete, Lorán & Heinen, Andréas & Valdesogo, Alfonso, 2008. "Modeling International Financial Returns with a Multivariate Regime Switching Copula," Discussion Papers 2008/3, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- CHOLLETE, Loran & HEINEN, Andréas & VALDESOGO, Alfonso, 2008. "Modeling international financial returns with a multivariate regime switching copula," CORE Discussion Papers 2008013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Loran , CHOLLETTE & Andreas , HEINEN & Alfonso , VALDESOGO, 2008. "Modelling international financial returns with a multivariate regime switching copula," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2008011, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Daniel Berg, 2009. "Copula goodness-of-fit testing: an overview and power comparison," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 675-701.
- Diebold, Francis X & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1996.
"Measuring Business Cycles: A Modern Perspective,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 67-77, February.
- Beatriz Mendes & Mariângela Semeraro & Ricardo Leal, 2010. "Pair-copulas modeling in finance," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 193-213, June.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- HEINEN, Andréas & VALDESOGO, Alfonso, 2009. "Asymmetric CAPM dependence for large dimensions: the Canonical Vine Autoregressive Model," CORE Discussion Papers 2009069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David E. Allena & Ron Amrama & Michael McAleer, 2011.
"Volatility Spillovers from the Chinese Stock Market to Economic Neighbours,"
Working Papers in Economics
11/42, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Michael McAleer & David Allen & Ron Amram, 2011. "Volatility Spillovers from the Chinese Stock Market to Economic Neighbours," KIER Working Papers 805, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Allen, D.E. & McAleer, M.J. & Amran, R., 2011. "Volatility Spillovers from the Chinese Stock Market to Economic Neighbours," Econometric Institute Report EI 2011-44, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- David E. Allen & Ron Amram & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Volatility Spillovers from the Chinese Stock Market to Economic Neighbours," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-38, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1993. "Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number stoc93-1.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1993. "Introduction to "Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting"," NBER Chapters, in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 1-10 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Makram Talih & Nicolas Hengartner, 2005. "Structural learning with time-varying components: tracking the cross-section of financial time series," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 67(3), pages 321-341.
- Joe, Harry & Li, Haijun & Nikoloulopoulos, Aristidis K., 2010. "Tail dependence functions and vine copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 252-270, January.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aas, Kjersti & Czado, Claudia & Frigessi, Arnoldo & Bakken, Henrik, 2009. "Pair-copula constructions of multiple dependence," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 182-198, April.
- Fama, Eugene F, et al, 1969. "The Adjustment of Stock Prices to New Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Smith, Michael & Min, Aleksey & Almeida, Carlos & Czado, Claudia, 2010. "Modeling Longitudinal Data Using a Pair-Copula Decomposition of Serial Dependence," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(492), pages 1467-1479.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.