Multivariate Copula Models at Work: Outperforming the desert island copula?
AbstractSince the pioneering work of Embrechts and co-authors in 1999, copula models enjoy steadily increasing popularity in finance. Whereas copulas are well-studied in the bivariate case, the higher-dimensional case still offers several open issues and it is by far not clear how to construct copulas which sufficiently capture the characteristics of financial returns. For this reason, elliptical copulas (i.e. Gaussian and Student-t copula) still dominate both empirical and practical applications. On the other hand, several attractive construction schemes appeared in the recent literature prom sing flexible but still manageable dependence models. The aim of this work is to empirically investigate whether these models are really capable to outperform its benchmark, i.e. the Student-t copula (which is termed by Paul Embrechts as "desert island copula" on account of its excellent fit to financial returns) and, in addition, to compare the fit of these different copula classes among themselves. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Statistics and Econometrics in its series Discussion Papers with number 79/2007.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
KS-copula; Hierarchical Archimedian; Product copulas; Pair-copula decomposition;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koehler, K. J. & Symanowski, J. T., 1995. "Constructing Multivariate Distributions with Specific Marginal Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 261-282, November.
- W. Breymann & A. Dias & P. Embrechts, 2003. "Dependence structures for multivariate high-frequency data in finance," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14.
- Patricia Mariela Morillas, 2005. "A method to obtain new copulas from a given one," Metrika, Springer, vol. 61(2), pages 169-184, 04.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00492124 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00645799 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dominique Guegan & Pierre-André Maugis, 2011. "An econometric Study for Vine Copulas," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00645799, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.