Optimal commodity grouping in a partial equilibrium framework
AbstractThis note characterizes, in a partial equilibrium economy with a single agent, which commodities should be taxed whenever there is only one available tax rate. We show that commodities with low price elasticities should be imposed; luxuries are eventually exempted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00106895.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Economics Letters, 2004, 83, 1, 49-54
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00106895
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Optimal indirect taxation; Commodity grouping;
Other versions of this item:
- Belan, Pascal & Gauthier, Stephane, 2004. "Optimal commodity grouping in a partial equilibrium framework," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 49-54, April.
- Pascal Belan & Stéphane Gauthier, 2003. "Optimal Commodity Grouping in a Partial Equilibrium Framework," Working Papers 2003-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J & Bradford, David F, 1970. "Optimal Departures from Marginal Cost Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 265-83, June.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1979. "A Note on Optimal Taxation and Administrative Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 475-80, June.
- Pascal Belan & Stéphane Gauthier & Guy Laroque, 2008.
"Optimal grouping of commodities for indirect taxation,"
- Belan, Pascal & Gauthier, Stéphane & Laroque, Guy, 2008. "Optimal grouping of commodities for indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(7), pages 1738-1750, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.