A Smoothed-Distribution Form of Nadaraya-Watson Estimation
AbstractGiven observation-pairs (xi ,yi ), i = 1,...,n , taken to be independent observations of the random pair (X ,Y), we sometimes want to form a nonparametric estimate of m(x) = E(Y/ X = x). Let YE have the empirical distribution of the yi , and let (XS ,YS ) have the kernel-smoothed distribution of the (xi ,yi ). Then the standard estimator, the Nadaraya-Watson form mNW(x) can be interpreted as E(YE?XS = x). The smoothed-distribution estimator ms (x)=E(YS/XS = x) is a more general form than mNW (x) and often has better properties. Similar considerations apply to estimating Var(Y/X = x), and to local polynomial estimation. The discussion generalizes to vector (xi ,yi ).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its series GEMF Working Papers with number 2011-01.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
nonparametric regression; Nadaraya-Watson; kernel density; conditional expectation estimator; conditional variance estimator; local polynomial estimator;
Other versions of this item:
- Ralph W Bailey & John T Addison, 2010. "A Smoothed- Distribution Form of Nadaraya- Watson Estimation," Discussion Papers, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham 10-30, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo V. Fiorio, 2004. "Confidence intervals for kernel density estimation," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 168-179, June.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Paul A. Dorosh, 1996. "Farmers' Welfare and Changing Food Prices: Nonparametric Evidence from Rice in Madagascar," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 656-669.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.