The Impact of ECB and FED announcements on the Euro Interest Rates
AbstractEmploying a new method of analysis suggested by Thornton (2009) we investigate the impact of news in the ECB and FED monetary policy announcements on daily changes in Euro interest rates. We document significant impacts of ECB announcements throughout the period but only until mid-2004 of FED announcements. The latter result on the news content of FED announcements is consistent with the analysis of Thornton (2009) who reports an insignificant impact of FED announcements on changes in US interest rates over a sample period that has significant overlap with the one employed in this letter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Genoa, Research Doctorate in Public Economics in its series DEP - series of economic working papers with number 2/2010.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Genoa c/o Marcello Montefiori via Vivaldi, 5 16126 Genova ITALY
Fax: +39 010 209 5223
Web page: http://www.dep.unige.it/
More information through EDIRC
monetary policy shocks; identification; wild bootstrap;
Other versions of this item:
- Monticini, Andrea & Peel, David & Vaciago, Giacomo, 2011. "The impact of ECB and FED announcements on the Euro interest rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 139-142.
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-10-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-10-23 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2010-10-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-10-23 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2005.
"Equal Size, Equal Role? Interest Rate Interdependence Between the Euro Area and the United States,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 928-948, October.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2004. "Equal size, equal role? interest rate interdependence between the euro area and the United States," International Finance Discussion Papers 800, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2003. "Equal size, equal role? Interest rate interdependence between the Euro area and the United States," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/46, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- repec:fip:fedgpr:y:2003:x:40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aymen Belgacem & Amine Lahiani, 2012. "More on the impact of US macroeconomic announcements: Evidence from French and German stock markets' volatility," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1509-1526.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcello Montefiori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.