Product variety and the export pattern of Poland 1999-2006
AbstractThe goal of this article is to investigate the role of product variety and changes in the product variety in the patter of exports of Poland a middle-sized open economy in the second phase of economic transition to a benchmark group of countries – EU15. The analysis covers the period 1999-2006 and is carried out on highly disaggregated trade data. In the analysis we utilize both simple index of variety of products as well as an index of relative variety of products. Attention is given to the scope and structure of intra-industry trade. The overall product variety in exports to EU15 as measured by simple product counts is found to have decreased while relative product variety in comparison to EU15 Member States remained at roughly unchanged level. Furthermore we investigate the link between the changes in export variety and the growth of TFP in Polish manufacturing industry sectors. The conclusions are drawn from dynamic panel data model controlling for several features suggested by the literature of the subject. The results are rather intriguing and need further robustness tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland in its series Working Papers with number 0903.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
product variety; productivity; horizontal differentiation; system GMM estimator;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2009-10-17 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2009-10-17 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris R, 1983. "On the Measurement of Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 900-908, December.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Madani & Dorsati & Yang & Tzu-Han & Liang & Chi-Yuan, .
"Testing Endogenous Growth In South Korea And Taiwan,"
Department of Economics
97-16, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Madani, Dorsati & Yang, Tzu-Han & Liang, Chi-Yuan, 1999. "Testing endogenous growth in South Korea and Taiwan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 317-341, December.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Dorsati Madani & Tzu-Han Yang & Chi-Yuan Liang, 1997. "Testing Endogenous Growth in South Korea and Taiwan," NBER Working Papers 6028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra & Madani & Dorsati & Yang & Tzu-Han, and Liang, Chi-Yuan, 2003. "Testing Endogenous Growth In South Korea And Taiwan," Working Papers 9716, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Kolasa, Marcin, 2007.
"How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition,"
8673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kolasa Marcin, 2008. "How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 155-173.
- Marcin Kolasa, 2007. "How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 42, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Dan Ben-David & Michael B. Loewy, 1997.
"Free Trade, Growth, and Convergence,"
NBER Working Papers
6095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2001.
"The geography and channels of diffusion at the world's technology frontier,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
123, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Wolfgang Keller, 2001. "The Geography and Channels of Diffusion at the World's Technology Frontier," NBER Working Papers 8150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2003.
"Export variety and economic growth in East European transition economies,"
- Michael Funke & Ralf Ruhwedel, 2005. "Export variety and economic growth in East European transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 25-50, 01.
- Funke, Michael & Ruhwedel, Ralf, 2003. "Export variety and economic growth in East European transition economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2003, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ralf Ruhwedel & Michael Funke, 2005. "Export Variety and Economic Growth in East European Transition Economies," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20502, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2003. "Economic Growth, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262025531, December.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Tomasz Brodzicki, 2009. "Extended Gravity Panel Data Model of Polish Foreign Trade," Working Papers 0901, Economics of European Integration Department, Faculty of Economics, University of Gdansk, Poland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tomasz Brodzicki) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Tomasz Brodzicki to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.