A Tale of Tax Policies in Open Economies
AbstractRecent financial crises in Europe as well as the periodic battles in the U.S. over the debt ceiling point to the importance of fiscal discipline among developed countries. This paper develops an open economy model, calibrated to the U.S. and a subset of the EMU, to evaluate the impact of various permanent tax changes. The first set of experiments considers a targeted one percentage point reduction in the government deficit-to-GDP ratio through raising one of : the consumption tax, the labor income tax, or the capital income tax. In terms of welfare, the consumption tax is found to be the least costly of the tax increases. A second set of experiments looks at deficit-neutral tax changes : partially replacing the capital income tax with either a higher labor income tax or higher consumption tax ; and partially replacing the labor income tax with an increased consumption tax. Reducing reliance on capital income taxation is welfare-enhancing, although it leads to short term losses. Reducing labor income taxation improves international competitiveness and is welfare-improving.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure in its series Working Papers with number 1138.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 93, chemin des Mouilles - B.P.167 69131 - Ecully cedex
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Fiscal policies; open economies; public deficits; tax reforms;
Other versions of this item:
- Stephane Auray & Aureline Eyquem & Paul Gomme, 2011. "A Tale of Tax Policies in Open Economies," Working Papers 11004, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Stephane Auray & Aurelien Eyquem & Paul Gomme, 2012. "A Tale of Tax Policies in Open Economies," Working Papers 12009, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Stéphane Auray & Aurélien Eyquem & Paul Gomme, 2012. "A Tale of Tax Policies in Open Economies," Working Papers halshs-00655931, HAL.
- Stéphane Auray & Aurélien Eyquem & Paul Gomme, 2012. "A Tale of Tax Policies in Open Economies," Working Papers 2012-32, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2012-01-18 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2012-01-18 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2012-01-18 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2012-01-18 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
- Benigno, Gianluca & De Paoli, Bianca, 2009.
"On the International Dimension of Fiscal Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7232, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Backus, David K & Kehoe, Patrick J & Kydland, Finn E, 1992.
"International Real Business Cycles,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 745-75, August.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1987. "International real business cycles," Working Papers 426, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1991. "International real business cycles," Staff Report 146, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982.
"Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model,"
572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Auray, Stéphane & de Blas, Beatriz & Eyquem, Aurélien, 2011.
"Ramsey policies in a small open economy with sticky prices and capital,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1531-1546, September.
- Stéphane Auray & Beatriz De Blaz & Aurélien Eyquem, 2011. "Ramsey Policies in a Small Open Economy with Sticky Prices and Capital," Post-Print halshs-00581173, HAL.
- Stéphane Auray & Beatriz de Blas & Aurélien Eyquem, 2009. "Ramsey Policies in a Small Open Economy with Sticky Prices and Capital," Cahiers de recherche 09-12, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Auray & Beatriz de Blas & Aurélien Eyquem, 2011. "Ramsey Policies in a Small Open Economy with Sticky Prices and Capital," Working Papers 1115, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Gomme, Paul & Rupert, Peter, 2007.
"Theory, measurement and calibration of macroeconomic models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 460-497, March.
- Paul Gomme & Peter Rupert, 2005. "Theory, measurement, and calibration of macroeconomic models," Working Paper 0505, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001.
"Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2008. "Price stability with imperfect financial integration," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 121-149, 02.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl, 2005.
"Dynamic Scoring: A Back-of-the-Envelope Guide,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2057, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital," Discussion Papers 532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.