Taxation and Corporate Investment: The Impact of the 1991 Swedish Tax Reform
AbstractIn 1990, the government of Sweden introduced a major tax reform to take effect in 1991. The Swedish system prior to the legislation was so complex that the size and magnitude of the likely effects of the reform on incentives to invest were unknown. In this paper, we draw on Sâdersten (1989) and Auerbach and Hassett (1992) and derive an expression for the user cost of capital that captures the essential features of the Swedish tax code both before and after the reform. We estimate the model for investment in equipment and find that the responsiveness of Swedish firms to the user cost is quite similar to that found for the U.S. Finally, we employ our model and estimates to assess the effects of the 1991 reform. We find that the impact of the reform on investment is likely to have been minor and had little to do with the contemporaneous sharp drop in investment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Uppsala - Working Paper Series in its series Papers with number 8.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UPPSALA UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, S-751 20 UPPSALA SWEDEN.
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/
More information through EDIRC
INVESTMENTS; TAX POLICY; ECONOMIC REFORM;
Other versions of this item:
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett & Jan Sodersten, 1996. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: The Impact of the 1991 Swedish Tax Reform," NBER Working Papers 5189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H32 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Firm
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, Villy & Sodersten, Jan, 1984. " Do Tax Allowances Stimulate Investment?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(2), pages 244-68.
- John B. Taylor, 1982. "The Swedish Investment Funds System as a Stabilization Rule," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(1), pages 57-106.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett, 1992.
"Tax Policy and Business Fixed Investment in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
3619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J. & Hassett, Kevin, 1992. "Tax policy and business fixed investment in the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 141-170, March.
- Dufwenberg, Martin & Koskenkyla, Heikki & Sodersten, Jan, 1994. " Manufacturing Investment and Taxation in the Nordic Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 443-61.
- Sodersten, Jan, 1989.
" The Investment Funds System Reconsidered,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(4), pages 671-87.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1990.
"Tax Reform and Adjustment Costs: The Impact on Investment and Market Value,"
NBER Working Papers
2103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1989. "Tax Reform and Adjustment Costs: The Impact on Investment and Market Value," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 939-62, November.
- Cummins, J.G. & Hassett, K.A. & Hubbard, R.G., 1995.
"tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
95-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 1996. "Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 237-273, October.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1996. "Tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hovick Shanazarian, 2006. "Corporate Financial Dynamics: A Pecking-Order Approach," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 61(4), pages 516-534, February.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Joel Slemrod, 1997. "The Economic Effects of the Tax Reform Act of 1986," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 589-632, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.