Collusion-Proof Yardstick Competition
AbstractThis paper analyses the incentives for collusion when an industry is regulated by means of yardstick competition. The central assumption is that firms must write collusive side contracts before the revelation of private information are unable to communicate later.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm - International Economic Studies in its series Papers with number 674.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF STOCKHOLM, INSTITUTE FOR INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC STUDIES, S- 106 91 STOCKHOLM SWEDEN.
Web page: http://www.iies.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
COMPETITION ; COLLUSION ; REGULATION;
Other versions of this item:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Holmstrom, 1981.
"Moral Hazard in Teams,"
471, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David, 1995.
"Collusion and Delegation,"
IDEI Working Papers
54, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Laffont, J.J. & Martimort, D., 1996.
"Collusion Under Asymmetric Information,"
95.389, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Edward P. Lazear & Paul Oyer, 2007.
NBER Working Papers
13480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dag Morten Dalen, 1998. "Yardstick Competition and Investment Incentives," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 105-126, 03.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & David Martimort, 2000.
"Mechanism Design with Collusion and Correlation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 309-342, March.
- Demski, Joel S. & Sappington, David, 1984. "Optimal incentive contracts with multiple agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 152-171, June.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, June.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1992.
"Regulation by Duopoly,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(3), pages 507-33, Fall.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1988. "Full Extraction of the Surplus in Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1247-57, November.
- Cowan, Simon, 1997. "Competition in the Water Industry," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 83-92, Spring.
- Joel Sobel, 1999. "A Reexamination of Yardstick Competition," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 33-60, 03.
- Mookherjee, Dilip, 1984. "Optimal Incentive Schemes with Many Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 433-46, July.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A. & Damme, E.E.C. van, 2003.
"Collusion under Yardstick Competition: An Experimental Study,"
2003-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Potters, Jan & Rockenbach, Bettina & Sadrieh, Abdolkarim & van Damme, Eric, 2004. "Collusion under yardstick competition: an experimental study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1017-1038, September.
- Damme, E.E.C. van & Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A., 2003. "Collusion under Yardstick Competition: An Experimental Study," Discussion Paper 2003-009, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A. & Damme, E.E.C. van, 2004. "Collusion under yardstick competition: An experimental study," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-141666, Tilburg University.
- Unal Zenginobuz & Haldun Evrenk, 2009.
"Regulation Through a Revenue Contest,"
2009/01, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Longo, R & Miraldo, M & Street, A, 2009.
"Price regulation of pluralistic markets subject to provider collusion,"
1454, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Roberta Longo & Marisa Miraldo & Andrew Street, 2008. "Price regulation of pluralistic markets subject to provider collusion," Working Papers 045cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Piccolo, Salvatore & D'Amato, Marcello & Martina, Riccardo, 2008. "Product market competition and organizational slack under profit-target contracts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1389-1406, November.
- Marco Meireles & Paula Sarmento, 2009. "Incomplete Regulation, Asymmetric Information and Collusion-Proofness," FEP Working Papers 320, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2006. "A yardstick competition model for Portuguese water and sewerage services regulation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 175-184, September.
- V. Bhaskar & Bishnupriya Gupta & Mushtaq Khan, 2002. "Partial Privatization and Yardstick Competition: Evidence from Employment Dynamics in Bangladesh," Economics Discussion Papers 545, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet, 2006. "Enchères, concurrence par comparaison et collusion," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(3), pages 583-592.
- Martine M. Bellanger & Philippe R. Mossé, 2005. "The search for the Holy Grail: combining decentralised planning and contracting mechanisms in the French health care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S119-S132.
- Anna Bottasso & Maurizio Conti, 2003. "Cost Inefficiency in the English and Welsh Water Industry: An Heteroskedastic Stochastic Cost Frontier Approach," Economics Discussion Papers 573, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Georg Meran & Christian Hirschhausen, 2009.
"A modified yardstick competition mechanism,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 223-245, June.
- Georg Meran & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "A Modified Yardstick Competition Mechanism," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 559, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Georg Meran & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "A Modified Yardstick Competition Mechanism," Working Papers 2006-05, Center for Network Industries and Infrastructure (CNI).
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet, 2009. "Yardstick Competition, Franchise Bidding and Firms’ Incentives to Collude," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 149-169, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.