Competition and the reform of incentive schemes in the regulated sector
AbstractWe consider a regulation problem with complete contracting in a principal-agent model with adverse selection and review within this model the various channels by which external competition parameters affect incentives within the regulated firm. The channels are: the principal's information, the principal's objective function, the agent's incentive constraint, the agent's participation constraint. We consider in particular a better information structure, a threat of liquidation, a fight for talent, a more efficient private sector, and the existence of better substitutes. We characterize in each case the conditions under which the effect on incentives is positive. Nous analysons dans un modÃ¨le principal-agent avec sÃ©lection adverse et contrats complets comment les incitations dans une entreprise rÃ©glementÃ©e sont affectÃ©es par la concurrence externe Ã travers son effet sur l'information et la fonction objectif du principal d'une part et les contraintes de compatibilitÃ© incitative et de rationalitÃ© individuelle de l'agent d'autre part. Nous considÃ©rons plus prÃ©cisÃ©ment les sources suivantes de pressions concurrentielles accrues: une meilleure structure d'information, une menace plus forte de liquidation, une concurrence plus intense pour le talent, un secteur privÃ© plus efficace, et l'existence de meilleurs substituts. Nous caractÃ©risons dans chaque cas les conditions sous lesquelles l'effet sur les incitations est positif.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 87 (2003)
Issue (Month): 7-8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Other versions of this item:
- Boyer, Marcel & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 2003. "Competition and the reform of incentive schemes in the regulated sector," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2369-2396, September.
- Marcel Boyer & Jean-Jacques Laffont, 2000. "Competition and the Reform of Incentive Schemes in the Regulated Sector," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-58, CIRANO.
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1988. "Full Extraction of the Surplus in Bayesian and Dominant Strategy Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1247-57, November.
- Marcel Boyer & Jean-Jacques Laffont, 1999. "Toward a Political Theory of the Emergence of Environmental Incentive Regulation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(1), pages 137-157, Spring.
- Dana, James Jr. & Spier, Kathryn E., 1994. "Designing a private industry : Government auctions with endogenous market structure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 127-147, January.
- Nalebuff, Barry J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1983. "Information, Competition, and Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 278-83, May.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1992.
"Regulation by Duopoly,"
IDEI Working Papers
20, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Riordan, Michael H. & Sappington, David E. M., 1988. "Optimal contracts with public ex post information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 189-199, June.
- Bliss, Christopher & Di Tella, Rafael, 1997. "Does Competition Kill Corruption?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 1001-23, October.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1987.
"Auctioning Incentive Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 921-37, October.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1985. "Optimal Selling Strategies under Uncertainty for a Discriminating Monopolist When Demands Are Interdependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 345-61, March.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996.
"Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schmidt, Klaus M, 1997. "Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 191-213, April.
- Anton, James J & Yao, Dennis A, 1992. "Coordination in Split Award Auctions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 681-707, May.
- Guerriero, Carmine, 2011. "Accountability in government and regulatory policies: Theory and evidence," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 453-469.
- Mikhail Drugov, 2010. "Information and delay in an agency model," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(3), pages 598-615.
- Carmine Guerriero, 2008.
"The Political Economy of Incentive Regulation: Theory and Evidence from US States,"
2008.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Guerriero, Carmine, 2013. "The political economy of incentive regulation: Theory and evidence from US states," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 91-107.
- Josse Delfgaauw & Robert Dur, 2008.
"Incentives and Workers' Motivation in the Public Sector,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(525), pages 171-191, 01.
- Josse Delfgaauw & Robert Dur, 2004. "Incentives and Workers' Motivation in the Public Sector," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-060/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Josse Delfgaauw & Robert Dur, 2004. "Incentives and Workers’ Motivation in the Public Sector," CESifo Working Paper Series 1223, CESifo Group Munich.
- Piccolo, Salvatore & D'Amato, Marcello & Martina, Riccardo, 2008. "Product market competition and organizational slack under profit-target contracts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1389-1406, November.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007.
"Regulatory Reform in Turkish Energy Industry: An analysis,"
19100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007. "Regulatory reform in Turkish energy industry: An analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 984-993, February.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2005. "Energy market reforms in Turkey: An economic analysis," MPRA Paper 26929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2004060 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.