Addiction and Discounting
AbstractIn 1988, Becker and Murphy [Becker, G.S., Murphy, K.M., 1988 A theory of rational addiction. Journal of Political Economy, 96, 675-700.] launched a theory in which they proposed that the perspective of rational decision-making could be applied also to cases of addictive bahaviour. This paper discusses the theory's assumptions of intepersonal variation and stability in time preferences on the basis of estimates derived from three groups of people with different consumption levels of illegal intoxicants.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bergen in its series Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen with number 198.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Bergen Fosswinckels Gate 6. N-5007 Bergen, Norway
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/
More information through EDIRC
GENERATIONS ; MICROECONOMICS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Consumer Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anne Bretteville-Jensen, 2006. "Drug Demand – Initiation, Continuation and Quitting," De Economist, Springer, vol. 154(4), pages 491-516, December.
- Blondel, Serge & Loheac, Youenn & Rinaudo, Stephane, 2007. "Rationality and drug use: An experimental approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 643-658, May.
- Jofre-Bonet, Mireia & Petry, Nancy M., 2008. "Trading apples for oranges?: Results of an experiment on the effects of Heroin and Cocaine price changes on addicts' polydrug use," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 281-311, May.
- Andrew M. Jones & José M. Labeaga, 2003. "Individual heterogeneity and censoring in panel data estimates of tobacco expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 157-177.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M. & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2004.
"Obesity And Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20079, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Timothy J. Richards & Paul M. Patterson & Abebayehu Tegene, 2007. "Obesity And Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(3), pages 309-324, 07.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M. & Tegene, Abebayehu, 2004. "Obesity and Nutrient Consumption: A Rational Addiction?," Working Papers 28539, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- Been-Lon Chen & Yu-Shan Hsu & Chia-Hui Lu, 2011. "Friedman meets Becker and Mulligan in a monetary neoclassical growth model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 104(2), pages 99-126, October.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Hamilton, Stephen F. & Pofahl, Geoffrey M., 2010.
"Obesity and Hyperbolic Discounting: An Experimental Analysis,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
61186, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Hamilton, Stephen F., 2012. "Obesity and Hyperbolic Discounting: An Experimental Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(2), August.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Hamilton, Stephen F. & Pofahl, Geoffrey M., 2010. "Obesity And Hyperbolic Discounting: An Experimental Analysis," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116410, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lurås, Hilde, 2009. "A healthy lifestyle: The product of opportunities and preferences," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2001:11, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Hubert De La Bruslerie, 2010.
"Term structure of psychological interest rates: A behavioral test,"
- Cairns, John, 2006. "Developments in discounting: With special reference to future health events," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 282-297, August.
- Grignon, Michel, 2009. "An empirical investigation of heterogeneity in time preferences and smoking behaviors," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 739-751, October.
- Booij, Adam S. & van Praag, Bernard M.S., 2009. "A simultaneous approach to the estimation of risk aversion and the subjective time discount rate," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 70(1-2), pages 374-388, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.