Economic liberalisation targeted programmes and household food security
Abstract"Although there is little consensus on the impact of trade liberalization on poverty and food security, it is nevertheless widely acknowledged that there is a need for governments to establish safety-nets to guard against any potentially harmful effects on the poor and vulnerable sections of society. Against this background, programs aimed at achieving food security and reducing poverty gain increased importance in the reform era. This study aims to evaluate several such programs that are currently in place in the country from the point of view of their impact, efficiency and financial sustainability. The purpose is to determine how these programs may be improved and propose appropriate policy options for reform, while also keeping in mind the new challenges that might lie ahead. Specifically, the study evaluates the Public Distribution System (PDS), Public Works Programs, and certain food-based direct intervention programs such as the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) and Tamil Nadu Integrated Nutrition Program (TINP), with a view to suggest how they can be made more cost effectiveness and better targeted." From Author's Executive Summary
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series MTID discussion papers with number 68.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Safety nets ;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alderman, Harold & Behrman, Jere R. & Lavy, Victor & Menon, Rekha, 1997.
"Child nutrition, child health, and school enrollment : a longitudinal analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1700, The World Bank.
- Harold Alderman & Jere Behrman & Victory Lavy & Rekha Menon, . "Child Nutrition, Child Health, and School Enrollment: A Longitudinal Analysis," CARESS Working Papres, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences 97-21, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Ahluwalia, Deepak, 1993. "Public distribution of food in India : Coverage, targeting and leakages," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 33-54, February.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael & Tuomala, Matti, 1994. "Labor Supply and Targeting in Poverty Alleviation Programs," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 191-211, May.
- Gupta, D.B. et.al., 2000. "The integrated child development services lessons from a pilot study," Working Papers, National Council of Applied Economic Research 69, National Council of Applied Economic Research.
- Angus Deaton & Jean Dreze, 2002.
"Poverty and Inequality in India: A Re-Examination,"
Working Papers, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies.
184, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Radhakrishna, R. & Subbarao, K., 1997. "India's Public Distribution System. A National and International Perspective," World Bank - Discussion Papers, World Bank 380, World Bank.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Jolly, Richard & Stewart, Frances (ed.), 1987. "Adjustment with a Human Face: Volume 1, Protecting the Vulnerable and Promoting Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286097, October.
- Jha, Shikha & Srinivasan, P. V., 1999. "Grain price stabilization in India: Evaluation of policy alternatives," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 93-108, August.
- R. Radhakrishna & C. Ravi, 1992. "Effects of Growth, Relative Price and Preferences on Food and Nutrition," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 27, pages 303-323.
- Smith, Lisa C. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 2000. "Explaining child malnutrition in developing countries: a cross-country analysis," Research reports, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 111, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gelbach, Jonah B. & Pritchett, Lant H., 1995. "Does more for the poor mean less for the poor? The politics of tagging," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1523, The World Bank.
- Martin Ravallion & Gaurav Datt, 1995. "Is Targeting Through a Work Requirement Efficient? Some Evidence for Rural India," Development Research Unit Working Paper Series, Monash University, Department of Economics archive-41, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Jha, Shikha & Srinivasan, P.V., 1999. "Grain price stabilization in India: Evaluation of policy alternatives," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(1), August.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1991. "Reaching the Rural Poor through Public Employment: Arguments, Evidence, and Lessons from South Asia," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 153-75, July.
- A. Ganesh-Kumar & Ashok Gulati & Ralph Cummings, Jr, 2008. "Reforming foodgrains management: Achieving food security with cost-effectiveness," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-027, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Margaret Grosh & Carlo del Ninno & Emil Tesliuc & Azedine Ouerghi, 2008. "For Protection and Promotion : The Design and Implementation of Effective Safety Nets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6582, August.
- World Bank, 2010. "Egypt, Arab Republic of - Food Subsidies : Benefit Incidence and Leakages," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2913, The World Bank.
- Persaud, Suresh Chand & Landes, Maurice R., 2007. "The Role of Policy and Industry Structure in India's Oilseed Markets," Economic Research Report, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service 7218, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- A. Ganesh-Kumar & Ashok Gulati & Ralph Cummings & Jr., 2008. "Reforming Foodgrains Management : Achieving Food Security with Cost-Effectiveness," Development Economics Working Papers 22152, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rashid, Shahidur, 2004.
"Spatial integration of maize markets in post-liberalized Uganda,"
MTID discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
71, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shahidur Rashid, 2004. "Spatial Integration of Maize Markets in Post-liberalised Uganda," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 102-133, March.
- Smith, Natalia & Garrett, James L. & Vardhan, Vishnu, 2008. "FOOD AND NUTRITION IN HYDERABAD. Current Knowledge and Priorities for Action in an Urban Setting," Analysis and Action for Sustainable Development of Hyderabad, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics 6369, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Mullen, Kathleen & Sun, Dongsheng & Thomas, Marcelle & Orden, David & Gulati, Ashok, 2004. "Agricultural Policy Interventions In Developing Countries: Mapping The Nature, Degree And Progress Of Reforms," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 20081, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- World Bank, 2007. "India - Himachal Pradesh : Accelerating Development and Sustaining Success in a Hill State," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7788, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.