Household preferences and governance of water services: A hedonic analysis from rural Guatemala
AbstractThis paper estimates hedonic models of rental prices to investigate household preferences regarding water services in rural Guatemala. Estimated values for water services are compared across municipal, private, and community-managed water utilities. Findings indicate that rural households value municipal water services but are indifferent between not having piped water and being connected to a private system. Moreover, the estimated value of community-managed services is negative, which suggests that rural households have an aversion to services managed at the community level. It is argued that the value households assign to water services reflects institutional costs imposed by the forms of service governance here analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 1152.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
hedonic analysis; household preferences; service governance; Water;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-01-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-01-25 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Garcia-Valiñas, 2007. "What level of decentralization is better in an environmental context? An application to water policies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(2), pages 213-229, October.
- Baisa, Brian & Davis, Lucas & Salant, Stephen W. & Wilcox, William, 2008.
"The Welfare Costs of Unreliable Water Service,"
9812, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- NAUGES CÃ©line & WHITTINGTON Dale, 2008.
"Estimation of Water Demand in Developing Countries: An Overview,"
LERNA Working Papers
08.20.264, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Céline Nauges & Dale Whittington, 2010. "Estimation of Water Demand in Developing Countries: An Overview," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 263-294, August.
- Gregory L. Poe & Kelly L. Giraud & John B. Loomis, 2005. "Computational Methods for Measuring the Difference of Empirical Distributions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 353-365.
- Jonathan Isham & Satu Kahkonen, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of the Impact Community-Based Water Services: Evidence from Sri Lanka and India," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0220, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- NAUGES CÃ©line & STRAND Jon, 2006.
"The Value of Water Connections in Central American Cities: A Revealed Preference Study,"
LERNA Working Papers
06.23.216, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Nauges, Céline & Strand, Jon & Walker, Ian, 2009. "The value of water connections in Central American cities: a revealed preference study," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(03), pages 349-370, June.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Frykblom, Peter & Lagerkvist, Carl-Johan, 2004.
"Preferences With and Without Prices - does the price attribute affect behavior in stated preference surveys?,"
Working Papers in Economics
150, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Peter Frykblom & Carl Lagerkvist, 2007. "Preferences with and without prices - does the price attribute affect behavior in stated preference surveys?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(2), pages 155-164, October.
- Anwandter, Lars & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 2002. "Can public sector reforms improve the efficiency of public water utilities?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 687-700, October.
- Ahmad, Junaid & Devarajan, Shantayanan & Khemani, Stuti & Shah, Shekhar, 2005. "Decentralization and service delivery," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3603, The World Bank.
- Yusuf, Arief Anshory & Koundouri, Phoebe, 2005. "Willingness to pay for water and location bias in hedonic price analysis: evidence from the Indonesian housing market," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(06), pages 821-836, December.
- David Martimort & Stephane Straub, 2006. "Privatization and Changes in Corruption Patterns: The Roots of Public Discontent," ESE Discussion Papers 147, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.