Econometric Estimation of the “Constant Elasticity of Substitution" Function in R: Package micEconCES
AbstractThe Constant Elasticity of Substitution (CES) function is popular in several areas of economics, but it is rarely used in econometric analysis because it cannot be estimated by standard linear regression techniques. We discuss several existing approaches and propose a new grid-search approach for estimating the traditional CES function with two inputs as well as nested CES functions with three and four inputs. Furthermore, we demonstrate how these approaches can be applied in R using the add-on package micEconCES and we describe how the various estimation approaches are implemented in the micEconCES package. Finally, we illustrate the usage of this package by replicating some estimations of CES functions that are reported in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics in its series IFRO Working Paper with number 2011/9.
Length: 107 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
constant elasticity of substitution; CES; nested CES; R;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miguel A. Le�n-Ledesma & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2010.
"Identifying the Elasticity of Substitution with Biased Technical Change,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1330-57, September.
- León-Ledesma, Miguel A. & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2009. "Identifying the elasticity of substitution with biased technical change," Working Paper Series 1001, European Central Bank.
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2007. "Factor Substitution and Factor-Augmenting Technical Progress in the United States: A Normalized Supply-Side System Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 183-192, February.
- Hoff, Ayoe, 2004. "THE LINEAR APPROXIMATION OF THE CES FUNCTION WITH n INPUT VARIABLES," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(3).
- Pandey, Manish, 2008. "Human capital aggregation and relative wages across countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1587-1601, December.
- Kemfert, Claudia, 1998. "Estimated substitution elasticities of a nested CES production function approach for Germany," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Mullen, Katharine M. & Ardia, David & Gil, David L. & Windover, Donald & Cline, James, 2009.
"DEoptim: An R Package for Global Optimization by Differential Evolution,"
21743, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Dec 2010.
- Katharine M. Mullen & David Ardia & David L. Gil & Donald Windover & James Cline, . "DEoptim: An R Package for Global Optimization by Differential Evolution," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 40(i06).
- Chris Papageorgiou & Marianne Saam, 2008.
"Two-level CES Production Technology in the Solow and Diamond Growth Models,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(1), pages 119-143, 03.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Marianne Saam, . "Two-Level CES Production Technology in the Solow and Diamond Growth Models," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Richard Anderson & William Greene & B. D. McCullough & H. D. Vinod, 2008. "The role of data/code archives in the future of economic research," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 99-119.
- Winford H. Masanjala & Chris Papageorgiou, 2004. "The Solow model with CES technology: nonlinearities and parameter heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 171-201.
- Arne Henningsen & Jeff D. Hamann, . "systemfit: A Package for Estimating Systems of Simultaneous Equations in R," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 23(i04).
- Klump, Rainer & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2008. "Editorial introduction The CES production function in the theory and empirics of economic growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 599-600, June.
- Mishra, SK, 2006. "A Note on Numerical Estimation of Sato’s Two-Level CES Production Function," MPRA Paper 1019, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Dec 2006.
- DURAND-LASSERVE, Olivier & Pierru , Axel & SMEERS, Yves, 2012. "Sensitivity of policy simulation to benchmark scenarios in CGE models: illustration with carbon leakage," CORE Discussion Papers 2012063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Henningsen, Arne & Henningsen, Géraldine, 2012. "On estimation of the CES production function—Revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 67-69.
- Koesler, Simon & Schymura, Michael, 2012. "Substitution elasticities in a CES production framework: An empirical analysis on the basis of non-linear least squares estimations," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-007, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Idrovo Aguirre, Byron, 2012.
"Inversión en infraestructura pública y crecimiento económico, evidencia para Chile
[Public infrastructure, investment and economic growth in Chile]," MPRA Paper 39857, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geir Tveit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.