Airport-related noise, proximity, and housing prices in Atlanta
AbstractUsing hedonic models, we analyze the effects of noise and proximity on housing prices in neighborhoods near Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport during 1995-2002. We address complications caused by changes over time in the levels and geographic distribution of noise and by the fact that noise levels are measured only at the beginning and after the end of the sample period. Generally speaking, housing prices were affected positively by declining noise levels. After accounting for proximity, house characteristics, and demographic variables, houses in noisier areas sold for less than houses subjected to less noise. Comparing prices in 1995-1999 with 2000-2002, the noise discount is larger during the latter period. Proximity to the airport is related positively to housing prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2005-060.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-09-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2005-09-29 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2005-09-29 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2004.
"Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1163, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2005. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 224-246, 01.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Baarsma, Barbara E., 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," IZA Discussion Papers 1096, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to value Intangibles; the Case of Airport Noise," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jeff Anstine, 2003. "Property Values in a Low Populated Area when Dual Noxious Facilities are Present," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 34(3), pages 345-358.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1998. "Why do aircraft noise value estimates differ? A meta-analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 117-124.
- Benson, Earl D, et al, 1998. "Pricing Residential Amenities: The Value of a View," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Molly Espey, 2000. "The Impact of Airport Noise and Proximity on Residential Property Values," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 31(3), pages 408-419.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 2004. "Airport expansions and property values: the case of Chicago O'Hare Airport," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 627-640, May.
- Ted Gayer & James T. Hamilton & W. Kip Viscusi, 2002. "The Market Value of Reducing Cancer Risk: Hedonic Housing Prices with Changing Information," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 266-289, October.
- I.J. Bateman & A.P. Jones & A.A. Lovett & I.R. Lake & B.H. Day, 2002. "Applying Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to Environmental and Resource Economics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 219-269, June.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Jeffrey P. Cohen & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2008.
"Spatial Hedonic Models Of Airport Noise, Proximity, And Housing Prices,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(5), pages 859-878.
- Jeffrey P. Cohen & Cletus C. Coughlin, 2006. "Spatial hedonic models of airport noise, proximity, and housing prices," Working Papers 2006-026, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.