Forecasting with small macroeconomic VARs in the presence of instabilities
AbstractSmall-scale VARs are widely used in macroeconomics for forecasting U.S. output, prices, and interest rates. However, recent work suggests these models may exhibit instabilities. As such, a variety of estimation or forecasting methods might be used to improve their forecast accuracy. These include using different observation windows for estimation, intercept correction, time-varying parameters, break dating, Bayesian shrinkage, model averaging, etc. This paper compares the effectiveness of such methods in real time forecasting. We use forecasts from univariate time series models, the Survey of Professional Forecasters and the Federal Reserve Board's Greenbook as benchmarks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 2007-41.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-09-24 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2007-09-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-09-24 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2007-09-24 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonello D'Agostino & Luca Gambetti & Domenico Giannone, 2009.
"Macroeconomic Forecasting and Structural Change,"
Working Papers ECARES
2009_020, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- D Agostino, Antonello & Gambetti, Luca & Giannone, Domenico, 2009. "Macroeconomic Forecasting and Structural Change," CEPR Discussion Papers 7542, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gambetti, Luca & D’Agostino, Antonello & Giannone, Domenico, 2010. "Macroeconomic forecasting and structural change," Working Paper Series 1167, European Central Bank.
- D'Agostino, Antonello & Gambetti, Luca & Giannone, Domenico & Giannone, Domenico, 2009. "Macroeconomic Forecasting and Structural Change," Research Technical Papers 8/RT/09, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Carlo Altavilla & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2011.
"Monetary Policy Analysis in Real-Time. Vintage combination from a real-time dataset,"
CSEF Working Papers
274, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Carlo Altavilla & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2011. "Monetary Policy Analysis in Real-Time. Vintage Combination from a Real-Time Dataset," CESifo Working Paper Series 3372, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michal Rubaszek & Pawel Skrzypczynski, 2007.
"Can a simple DSGE model outperform Professional Forecasters?,"
National Bank of Poland Working Papers
43, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Michal Rubaszek & Pawel Skrzypczynski, 2007. "Can a simple DSGE model outperform Professional Forecasters?," Working Papers 5, Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics.
- David Hendry & Michael P. Clements, 2010. "Forecasting from Mis-specified Models in the Presence of Unanticipated Location Shifts," Economics Series Working Papers 484, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Edward S. Knotek & II, 2007. "How useful is Okun's law?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV, pages 73-103.
- Carriero, Andrea & Clark, Todd & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2011.
"Bayesian VARs: Specification Choices and Forecast Accuracy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea Carriero & Todd Clark & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2011. "Bayesian VARs: specification choices and forecast accuracy," Working Paper 1112, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Irwin, Scott H. & Garcia, Philip, 2008. "How Much Can Outlook Forecasts be Improved? An Application to the U.S. Hog Market," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37620, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Barbara Rossi, 2011. "Advances in Forecasting Under Instability," Working Papers 11-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Hendry, David F. & Hubrich, Kirstin, 2010.
"Combining disaggregate forecasts or combining disaggregate information to forecast an aggregate,"
Working Paper Series
1155, European Central Bank.
- Hendry, David F. & Hubrich, Kirstin, 2011. "Combining Disaggregate Forecasts or Combining Disaggregate Information to Forecast an Aggregate," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(2), pages 216-227.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.