A Publication Activity Model for Finnish Universities
AbstractThis paper presents a publication activity model that calculates a research aggregate for the study fields of Finnish universities. The aggregate is expressed in terms of full-time equivalent research years conditional to the actual number of publications in each publication category. The key problem of the model is estimating the effort coefficients for each field and category. We use a nonparametric estimator that combines information from the KOTA dataset on FTE research years, the number of publications, and responses to our questionnaire on research effort, which was targeted to all researchers in all Finnish universities. Given our results, it appears that a reliable quantitative valuation of research work cannot be based on international journal articles alone or on any common subset of categories for all the fields. Some of the fields are rather concentrated, with only one or two publication categories, but in the fields of the humanities and social sciences all the categories count. In the fields of law and education, the humanities, theology and social sciences, national categories are also important. The resulting research aggregate is useful as a measure of research output in total productivity calculations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Discussion Papers with number 448.
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-09-13 (Education)
- NEP-SOG-2008-09-13 (Sociology of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. Korhonen & R. Tainio & J. Wallenius, 1998.
"Value Efficiency Analysis of Academic Research,"
ir98032, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Johnes, Geraint, 1997. "Costs and Industrial Structure in Contemporary British Higher Education," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 727-37, May.
- Kao, Chiang & Hung, Hsi-Tai, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of university departments: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 653-664, August.
- Johnes, Jill, 2006. "Data envelopment analysis and its application to the measurement of efficiency in higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 273-288, June.
- Koshal, Rajindar K. & Koshal, Manjulika & Gupta, Ashok, 2001. "Multi-product total cost function for higher education: a case of bible colleges," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 297-303, June.
- Dundar, Halil & Lewis, Darrell R., 1995. "Departmental productivity in American universities: Economies of scale and scope," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 119-144, June.
- Koshal, Rajindar K. & Koshal, Manjulika, 1999. "Economies of scale and scope in higher education: a case of comprehensive universities," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 269-277, April.
- Philip Andrew Stevens, 2005. "A Stochastic Frontier Analysis of English and Welsh Universities," Education Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 355-374.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.