A Stochastic Frontier Analysis of English and Welsh Universities
AbstractWith imperfect markets for the services of the higher education sector, it is important to assess the effectiveness of institutions. Previous studies have analysed the costs of universities but few their efficiency. In this paper, we examine the costs and efficiency of English and Welsh universities as suppliers of teaching and research using the method of stochastic frontier analysis on a panel of 80 institutions over four years. We also investigate the impact of staff and student characteristics on inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- E Thanassoulis & G Johnes & J Johnes, 2005. "An analysis of costs in institutions of higher education in England," Working Papers 566942, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- E Thanassoulis & M Kortelainen & G Johnes & J Johnes, 2009. "Costs and Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in England: A DEA Analysis," Working Papers 598827, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4381 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tarmo Räty & Micke Bondas, 2008. "A Publication Activity Model for Finnish Universities," Discussion Papers 448, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- repec:lan:wpaper:4813 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1043 is not listed on IDEAS
- G. Thomas Sav, 2012. "Stochastic Cost Inefficiency Estimates and Rankings of Public and Private Research and Doctoral Granting Universities," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 2(3), pages 13, June.
- Geraint Johnes, 2007.
"Funding Formulae where Costs Legitimately Differ: The Case of Higher Education in England,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 385-404.
- G Johnes, 2005. "Funding formulae where costs legitimately differ: the case of higher education in England," Working Papers 574022, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1046 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1031 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tony Flegg & David O. Allen, 2006. "Does Expansion Cause Congestion? The Case of the Older British Universities, 1994 to 2004," Working Papers 0605, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- G. Sav, 2012. "Stochastic Cost Frontier and Inefficiency Estimates of Public and Private Universities: Does Government Matter?," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 187-198, May.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1121 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1058 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1109 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tony Flegg & David O. Allen, 2006. "Are the New British Universities Congested?," Working Papers 0610, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4509 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maria Olivares & Andrea Schenker-Wicki, 2012. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Swiss and German University Sector: A Non-Parametric Analysis that Accounts for Heterogeneous Production," Working Papers 309, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Gerhard Kempkes & Carsten Pohl, 2006. "Zur Effizienz von Hochschulen : erste Ergebnisse für Deutschland," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(06), pages 03-13, December.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1044 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gerhard Kempkes & Carsten Pohl, 2006. "The Efficiency of German Universities – Some Evidence from Non-Parametric and Parametric Methods," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Papers No. 36, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.