Economies of Scale and Scope in Japanese Private Universities
AbstractA flexible fixed-cost quadratic function is employed to estimate multiple-output cost functions for 94 private universities in Japan for the year 1991. The three outputs employed are undergraduate teaching, graduate teaching and research. Our results provide evidence of ray economics of scale and both global and product-specific economies of scope. Product-specific economics of scale are shown for undergraduate and graduate teaching in relatively small universities and for research in relatively large universities. Implications of the findings are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2014. "Efficiency and economies of scale and scope in European universities. A directional distance approach," DIAG Technical Reports 2014-08, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Izadi, Hooshang & Johnes, Geraint & Oskrochi, Reza & Crouchley, Robert, 2002. "Stochastic frontier estimation of a CES cost function: the case of higher education in Britain," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 63-71, February.
- Alka Obadić & Aleksander Aristovnik, 2011. "Relative efficiency of higher education in Croatia and Slovenia: an international comparison," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 13(30), pages 362-376, June.
- Koshal, Rajindar K. & Koshal, Manjulika & Gupta, Ashok, 2001. "Multi-product total cost function for higher education: a case of bible colleges," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 297-303, June.
- Gimenez, Victor M. & Martinez, Jose Luis, 2006. "Cost efficiency in the university: A departmental evaluation model," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 543-553, October.
- Longlong, Hou & Fengliang, Li & Weifang, Min, 2009. "Multi-product total cost functions for higher education: The case of Chinese research universities," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 505-511, August.
- Kuo, Jenn-Shyong & Ho, Yi-Cheng, 2008. "The cost efficiency impact of the university operation fund on public universities in Taiwan," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 603-612, October.
- Ville, Simon & Valadkhani, Abbas & O'Brien, Martin, 2005. "The Distribution of Research Performance Across Australian Universities, 1992-2003, and Its Implications for Higher Education Funding Models," Economics Working Papers wp05-26, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- G. Johnes, 1997. "Costs in UK Higher Education: A System-Wide Perspective," CERT Discussion Papers 9707, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Valadkhani, Abbas & Worthington, Andrew, 2005. "Ranking and Clustering Australian University Research Performance, 1998-2002," Economics Working Papers wp05-19, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Kraus, Margit, 2004. "Schätzung von Kostenfunktionen für die bundesdeutsche Hochschulausbildung: Ein konzeptioneller Ansatz im empirischen Test," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-36, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Koshal, Rajindar K. & Koshal, Manjulika, 1999. "Economies of scale and scope in higher education: a case of comprehensive universities," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 269-277, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.