Labour Market Policy and Unemployment - A Job Flow Model of Finland
AbstractIn this study a numerical search equilibrium model of labour markets is applied to the Finnish data in order to analyse the factors behind the record high unemployment of the early 90?s. Job creation and job destruction are endogenously determined from the dynamic optimising behaviour of firms and workers. We find that the labour market policy account for a remarkable part of the Finnish structural unemployment, but cannot explain the adverse development of employment over time. Instead, our analysis suggests that the upsurge in unemployment can be attributed to the increased uncertainty concerning the future productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Discussion Papers with number 210.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Andrew Hildreth & Stephen Millard & Dale Mortensen & Mark Taylor, 1998. "Wages, work, and unemployment," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(11), pages 1531-1547.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, January.
- Piekkola, Hannu & Böckerman, Petri, 2002. "On Whom Falls the Burden of Restructuring? Evidence from Finland," Discussion Papers 714, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.