Marginal Intra-industry Trade and Adjustment Costs in Labour Market
AbstractThe objective of this study is to provide some empirical evidences on the existence of labor market adjustments according to smooth adjustment hypothesis (SAH) under the impact of intra-industry trade (IIT) considering the Portuguese case over a time span between 1995 and 2006. The main methodological issue of this study consists in showing that it is preferable to use the GMM-System approach with orthogonal transformation of data. The key outcome consists in highlighting a negative linkage between marginal intra-industry trade and the amplitude of employment changes for this particular market. In addition, we find a negative correlation between changes of employment and changes in domestic consumption. Moreover, the relationship between growth of productivity and market structure is according to smooth adjustment hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2013.39.
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Intra-Industry Trade; Adjustment Costs; Portugal; Labour Market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. R. Elliott & Joanne K. Lindley, 2006. "Trade, Skills and Adjustment Costs: A Study of Intra-Sectoral Labor Mobility," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 20-41, 02.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J. R. Elliott & Joanne Lindley, 2006.
"Intra-Industry Trade and Labour-Market Adjustment: A Reassessment Using Data on Individual Workers,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 521-545, October.
- Joanne Kathryn Lindley & Marius Brullhart & Rob Elliott, 2005. "Intra-industry trade and labour market adjustment: A reassessment using data on individual workers," Working Papers 2005005, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised May 2005.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2000. "Moment conditions for fixed effects count data models with endogenous regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 21-24, July.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Lovely, Mary E & Nelson, Douglas R, 2000. "Marginal Intraindustry Trade and Labor Adjustment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 436-47, August.
- Marius Brulhart & Michael Thorpe, 2000. "Intra-industry trade and adjustment in Malaysia: puzzling evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(11), pages 729-733.
- Guzin Erlat & Haluk Erlat, 2006. "Intraindustry Trade and Labor Market Adjustment in Turkey: Another Piece of Puzzling Evidence?," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(5), pages 5-27, October.
- Manuel Cabral & Joana Silva, 2006. "Intra-Industry Trade Expansion and Employment Reallocation between Sectors and Occupations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 496-520, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.