Trade, Skills and Adjustment Costs: A Study of Intra-Sectoral Labor Mobility
AbstractThe relationship between the ability of workers to change job, sector or industry and the short-run adjustment costs associated with a reallocation of labor is the subject of lively debate among academics. This paper examines recent sector and industry level labor market adjustment in the UK using data from the Quarterly Labour Force Survey. We explore the link between the nature of UK trade patterns and labor adjustment within the manufacturing sector and employ a multinomial logit approach to examine the determinants of "within" and "between" industry mobility. By controlling for individual skill specificity we find some evidence of a link between intra-industry trade and intra-industry labor adjustment. Copyright � 2006 The Authors; Journal compilation � 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saeed Rasekhi & Saman Ghaderi, 2012. "Marginal intra-industry trade and adjustment costs: the case study of Iranâ€™s manufacturing industries," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 35-43.
- Abdul Azhar & Robert Elliott, 2011. "A Measure of Trade Induced Adjustment in Volume and Quality Space," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 955-968, November.
- Abdul K. M. Azhar & Robert J. R. Elliott, 2008.
"On the Measurement of Changes in Product Quality in Marginal Intra-Industry Trade,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 225-247, July.
- A K M Azhar & Robert R J Elliott, 2007. "On the Measurement of Changes in Product Quality in Marginal Intra-Industry Trade," Discussion Papers 07-09, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Imre Ferto & Károly Attila Soos, 2008. "Marginal Intra-Industry Trade and Adjustment Costs - A Hungarian-Polish Comparison," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0815, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Von Uexkull, Erik, 2012. "Regional trade and employment in ECOWAS," ILO Working Papers 468791, International Labour Organization.
- Wolfgang Lechthaler & Mariya Mileva, 2013. "Two-Country Dynamic Model of Trade with Heterogeneous Firms and Comparative Advantage," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 12, WWWforEurope.
- Roger White & Cheng Chen, 2012. "US manufacturing and vertical/horizontal intra-industry trade: examining the smooth adjustment hypothesis," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(1/2), pages 1-20.
- Larch Mario & Lechthaler Wolfgang, 2011.
"Comparative Advantage and Skill-Specific Unemployment,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-58, April.
- Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2009. "Comparative Advantage and Skill-Specific Unemployment," CESifo Working Paper Series 2754, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2009. "Comparative Advantage and Skill-specific Unemployment," Kiel Working Papers 1538, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nuno Carlos Leitão & Bogdan Dima & Dima (Cristea) Stefana, 2013. "Marginal Intra-industry Trade and Adjustment Costs in Labour Market," Working Papers 2013.39, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Imre Ferto & Károly Attila Soós, 2010. "Marginal intra-industry trade and adjustment costs in the first phase of transition: A Hungarian-Polish comparison," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(5), pages 495-504, September.
- Horácio Faustino & Nuno Leitão, 2009. "Intra-industry trade and labor costs: The smooth adjustment hypothesis," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/17, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.