ETS and Technological Innovation: A Random Matching Model
AbstractThe present paper investigates the functioning of an Emission Trading System (ETS) and its impact on the diffusion of environmental-friendly technological innovation in the presence of firms’ strategic behaviours and sanctions to non-compliant firms. For this purpose, we study an evolutionary game model with random matching, namely, a context in which a population of firms interact through pairwise random matchings. We assume that each firm has to decide whether to adopt a new clean technology or keep on using the old technology that requires pollution permits to operate and that the strategy whose expected payoff is greater than the average payoff spreads within the population at the expense of the alternative strategy (the so-called replicator dynamics). We investigate the technological dynamics and the stationary states that emerge from the model. From the analysis of the model, we show that by properly modifying the penalty on non-compliant firms, it is possible to shift from one dynamic regime to another and that an increase in permits trade can promote the diffusion of innovative pollution-free technologies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2012.79.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Emissions Trading; Technological Innovation; Random Matching; Evolutionary Game; Penalty System; Strategic Behaviour;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2013-01-26 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2013-01-26 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GTH-2013-01-26 (Game Theory)
- NEP-INO-2013-01-26 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2013-01-26 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-ORE-2013-01-26 (Operations Research)
- NEP-REG-2013-01-26 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012.
"Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European Carbon Market,"
2012.22, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European Carbon Market," CEP Discussion Papers dp1141, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rafael Calel & Antoine Dechezleprêtre, 2012. "Environmental policy and directed technological change: evidence from the European carbon maket," Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Papers 75, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Raphael Calel & Antoine Dechezlepretre, 2012. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technological Change: Evidence from the European carbon market," Working Papers 1208, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Grüll, Georg & Taschini, Luca, 2011. "Cap-and-trade properties under different hybrid scheme designs," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 107-118, January.
- Hahn, Robert W., 1982.
"Market Power and Transferable Property Rights,"
402, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Costantini, Valeria & D'Amato, Alessio & Martini, Chiara & Tommasino, Maria Cristina & Valentini, Edilio & Zoli, Mariangela, 2013.
"Taxing international emissions trading,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 609-621.
- Valeria Costantini & Alessio D'Amato & Chiara Martini & Maria Cristina Tommasino & Edilio Valentini & Mariangela Zoli, 2011. "Taxing international emissions trading," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0143, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- O'Neil, William & David, Martin & Moore, Christina & Joeres, Erhard, 1983. "Transferable discharge permits and economic efficiency: The fox river," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 346-355, December.
- Alexander Brauneis & Roland Mestel & Stefan Palan & Michael Loretz, 2011.
"Inducing Low-Carbon Investment in the Electric Power Industry through a Price Floor for Emissions Trading,"
Working Paper Series, Social and Economic Sciences
2011-01, Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences, Karl-Franzens-University Graz.
- Brauneis, Alexander & Mestel, Roland & Palan, Stefan, 2013. "Inducing low-carbon investment in the electric power industry through a price floor for emissions trading," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 190-204.
- Alexander Brauneis & Michael Loretz & Roland Mestel & Stefan Palan, 2011. "Inducing Low-Carbon Investment in the Electric Power Industry through a Price Floor for Emissions Trading," Working Papers 2011.74, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ellerman,A. Denny & Convery,Frank J. & de Perthuis,Christian With contributions by-Name:Alberola,Emilie With contributions by-Name:Buchner,Barbara K. With contributions by-Name:Delbosc,Anaïs, 2010. "Pricing Carbon," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521196475, October.
- Simone Borghesi, 2008. "Il sistema dei permessi negoziabili per la gestione dell’acqua: un’analisi dei principali casi di studio," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 116(2), pages 137-158.
- Hagem, Cathrine & Westskog, Hege, 1998. "The Design of a Dynamic Tradeable Quota System under Market Imperfections," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 89-107, July.
- Ino, Hiroaki, 2011.
"Optimal environmental policy for waste disposal and recycling when firms are not compliant,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 290-308, September.
- Hiroaki Ino, 2010. "Optimal Environmental Policy for Waste Disposal and Recycling When Firms Are Not Compliant," Discussion Paper Series 50, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Jan 2010.
- Simone Borghesi, 2010.
"The European Emission Trading Scheme and Renewable Energy Policies: Credible Targets for Incredible Results?,"
2010.141, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Simone Borghesi, 2011. "The European emission trading scheme and renewable energy policies: credible targets for incredible results?," International Journal of Sustainable Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 312-327.
- Wirl, Franz, 2009. "Oligopoly meets oligopsony: The case of permits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 329-337, November.
- Rogge, Karoline S. & Schneider, Malte & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2011. "The innovation impact of the EU Emission Trading System -- Findings of company case studies in the German power sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 513-523, January.
- Frank Convery, 2009. "Origins and Development of the EU ETS," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(3), pages 391-412, July.
- Simone Borghesi & Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2012. "Brown Sunsets and Green Dawns in the Industrial Sector: Environmental Innovations, Firm Behavior and the European Emission Trading," Working Papers 2012.03, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- De Perthuis, Christian & Convery, Frank J. & Ellerman, Denny, 2010. "Pricing carbon : the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10174, Paris Dauphine University.
- J. H. Dales, 1968. "Land, Water, and Ownership," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 1(4), pages 791-804, November.
- Carraro, Carlo & De Cian, Enrica & Nicita, Lea & Massetti, Emanuele & Verdolini, Elena, 2010. "Environmental Policy and Technical Change: A Survey," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 4(2), pages 163-219, October.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00866408 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:ciredw:hal-00866408 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.