Firms’ International Status and Heterogeneity in Performance: Evidence From Italy
AbstractThis paper revisits the empirical evidence about the link between firms’ performance and their international status, based on a large sample of Italian enterprises. To this purpose, we merged two waves of the Capitalia survey (1998-2000, and 2001-2003) retrieving firm level data for roughly 7,000 units. Three results stand out from our empirical exercise. First, firms that engage in the foreign production of final goods, in addition to export activities, are more productive than firms that only export abroad. Second, firms that engage in final goods off-shoring are more productive than firms that engage in inputs off-shoring. Third, in terms of the productivity dynamics over the period 1998-2003, exporters’ performance in Italy was not any better than the non-exporters’ one. Our results support the view that the better performance (in static terms) of globally engaged firms is chiefly due to the selection caused by the fixed costs associated to international operations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2008.3.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Export; Heterogeneous Firms; Italy; Off-shoring; Productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Lorenzo Casaburi & Valeria Gattai & G. Alfredo Minerva, 2007. "Firms' International Status and Heterogeneity in Performance: Evidence from Italy," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(3), pages 151-188, May-June.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-03-08 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2008-03-08 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2008-03-08 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2008-03-08 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Federici, Daniela & Parisi, Valentino, 2012.
"Corporate taxation and exports,"
41012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- R. Antonietti & G. Cainelli, 2010.
"Innovation, productivity and export. Evidence from Italy,"
Working Papers Prin
014, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Roberto Antonietti & Giulio Cainelli, 2010. "Innovation, productivity and export Evidence from Italy," Openloc Working Papers 1017, Public policies and local development.
- Davide Castellani & Giorgia Giovannetti, 2010.
"Productivity and the international firm: dissecting heterogeneity,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42.
- Davide Castellani & Giorgia Giovannetti, 2010. "Productivity and the international firm: dissecting heterogeneity," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42.
- Davide Castellani & Giorgia Giovannetti, 2009. "Productivity and the international firm: dissecting heterogeneity," Development Working Papers 270, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Franco Amatori & Matteo Bugamelli & Andrea Colli, 2011. "Italian Firms in History: Size, Technology and Entrepreneurship," Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) 13, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Breinlich, Holger & Tucci, Alessandra, 2010.
"Foreign Market Conditions and Export Performance: Does 'Crowdedness' Reduce Exports?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7975, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Breinlich & Alessandra Tucci, 2011. "Foreign market conditions and export performance: does `crowdedness' reduce exports?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 991-1019, August.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.