A New Test for Chaotic Dynamics Using Lyapunov Exponents
AbstractWe propose a new test to detect chaotic dynamics, based on the stability of the largest Lyapunov exponent from different sample sizes. This test is applied to the data used in the single-blind controlled competition tests for nonlinearity and chaos that were generated by Barnett et al. (1997), as well as to several chaotic series. The results suggest that the new test is particularly effective when compared to other stochastic alternatives (both linear and nonlinear). The test size is one for large samples, although for small sample sizes it diminishes below the nominal size for two out of the three chaotic processes considered, what is not a surprise given some well-known properties of such processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2003-09.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2003-04-09 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ECM-2003-04-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-04-09 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2003-04-09 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1992. "Chaotic behaviour in exchange-rate series : First results for the Peseta--U.S. dollar case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 207-211, June.
- William Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 2012.
"A Single-Blind Controlled Competition Among Tests For Nonlinearity And Chaos,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS, University of Kansas, Department of Economics
201219, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Barnett, William A. & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hinich, Melvin J. & Jungeilges, Jochen A. & Kaplan, Daniel T. & Jensen, Mark J., 1997. "A single-blind controlled competition among tests for nonlinearity and chaos," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 157-192.
- William A. Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 1996. "A Single-Blind Controlled Competition among Tests for Nonlinearity and Chaos," Econometrics, EconWPA 9602005, EconWPA, revised 20 Sep 1996.
- Yoon-Jae Whang & Oliver Linton, 1997.
"The Asymptotic Distribution of Nonparametric Estimates of the Lyapunov Exponent for Stochastic Time Series,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University
1130R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae & Linton, Oliver, 1999. "The asymptotic distribution of nonparametric estimates of the Lyapunov exponent for stochastic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 1-42, July.
- Dechert, W D & Gencay, R, 1992. "Lyapunov Exponents as a Nonparametric Diagnostic for Stability Analysis," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S41-60, Suppl. De.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.