Policy Advice: Markets and Policies
AbstractThis paper aims at the provision of applicable recommendations for institutions and actors involved regarding the EMU accession process both in CEE and in the eurozone. In order to provide topical advice, the first part, on markets, will concentrate on theory and empirics of labour markets, financial markets and foreign direct investment, whereas the second part, dealing with policies, will put emphasis on exchange rates, FDI, labour markets, and the social dimension. It turns out that benefits and losses of EMU accession may differ with regard to the different issue areas. To get to clear-cut recommendations, diverging impacts and their balance have been taken into consideration. Special regard has been given to divergent groups of winners and losers during accession, its impact on the political decisionmaking process, and ways to compensate for them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in its series Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers with number wp20.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2004
Date of revision: 01 Feb 2004
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katalin Mérõ & Marianna Endrész Valentinyi, 2003. "The Role of Foreign Banks in Five Central and Eastern European Countries," MNB Working Papers 2003/10, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999.
"EU Enlargement, Migration and Lessons from German Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2174, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000. "EU Enlargement, Migration, and Lessons from German Unification," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(3), pages 299-314, 08.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "EU Enlargement, Migration, and Lessons from German Unification," CESifo Working Paper Series 182, CESifo Group Munich.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 2000. "The Political Economy of Labour Market Institutions," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293323.
- Horst Siebert, 1997. "Labor Market Rigidities: At the Root of Unemployment in Europe," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 37-54, Summer.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2002.
"EU Enlargement and the Future of the Welfare State,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(1), pages 104-15, February.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000. "EU Enlargement and the Future of the Welfare State," CESifo Working Paper Series 307, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andres RodrIguez-Pose & Ugo Fratesi†, 2004.
"Between Development and Social Policies: The Impact of European Structural Funds in Objective 1 Regions,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 97-113.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Ugo Fratesi, 2003. "Between development and social policies: the impact of European Structural Funds in Objective 1 Regions," European Economy Group Working Papers 28, European Economy Group.
- Andreas Freytag, 2002. "Estonian labour market and EMU membership - challenges and policy options," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2002-11, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Dec 2002.
- J. Caetano & A. Galego & E. Vaz & C. Vieira & I. Vieira, 2002. "The Eastward Enlargement of the Eurozone: Trade and FDI," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp07, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Aug 2002.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Guido Tabellini, 2003. "Principles of Policymaking in the European Union: an Economic Perspective," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000157, David K. Levine.
- Peter Spencer, 2001. "E-money: Will it Take Off?," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 2(1), pages 121-136, January.
- Directorate General II, Economic and Financial Affaires., 1997. "The Impact of the Introduction of the Euro on Capital Markets," Papers 3, Commission of the EEC - Euro Papers.
- Olsen, Trond E. & Osmundsen, Petter, 2003. "Spillovers and international competition for investments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 211-238, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefan Hohenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.