Integration and Labour Markets in European Border regions
AbstractBorder regions are likely to play a critical role within the special dynamics initiated by the enlargement of the EU. This paper deals with the effects of integration on labour market conditions in border regions. Within the framework of different theoretical approaches the effects of integration on location conditions and labour markets in border regions are analysed. Furthermore, we investigate empirically the degree of labour market integration in European border regions. Measures of spatial association are applied as indicators for the intensity of integration among neighbouring labour markets. The results of an analysis of per capita income and unemployment for the period 1995 to 2000 point at a measurable spatial segmentation of labour markets even among highly integrated EU15 countries. On average, border regions in the EU are characterised by lower degree of labour market integration than non-border areas due to significant border impediments that hamper equilibrating forces between labour markets on both sides of national frontiers. JEL classification: F22, J61, R23 Keywords: European Integration, Labour Market Disparities, Border Regions, Spatial Dependence
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa04p29.
Date of creation: Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Other versions of this item:
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2006. "Integration and labour markets in European border regions," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 39(1), pages 57-76.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2004. "Integration and Labour Markets in European Border Regions," HWWA Discussion Papers 284, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-11-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2005-11-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LTV-2005-11-09 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Overman, Henry G. & Puga, Diego, 1999.
"Unemployment Clusters Across European Regions and Countries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2255, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga, 2002. "Unemployment clusters across Europe's regions and countries," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 115-148, 04.
- Diego Puga, 1999. "Unemployment clusters across Europe's regions and countries," Working Papers dpuga-99-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Henry Overman & Diego Puga, 1999. "Unemployment Clusters Across European Regions and Countries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0434, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 2000.
"Disintegration and Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2641, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Jan Fidrmuc, 2000. "Disintegration and Trade," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 353, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2001. "Disintegration and trade," ZEI Working Papers B 24-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Jan Fidrmuc, 2001. "Disintegration and Trade," LICOS Discussion Papers 9901, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Thiess Buettner & Johannes Rincke, 2007.
"Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration: The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 536-560, November.
- Thiess Büttner & Johannes Rincke, 2004. "Labor Market Effects of Economic Integration - The Impact of Re-Unification in German Border Regions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1179, CESifo Group Munich.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino A. Gancia, 2001.
"Geography, Migrations and Equilibrium Unemployment,"
Development Working Papers
156, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino Gancia, 2002. "Geography, Migrations and Equilibrium Unemployment," KITeS Working Papers 128, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2001.
- Puga, Diego, 1997.
"The Rise and Fall of Regional Inequalities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1575, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrique Lopez Bazo & Esther Vaya Valcarce & Antonio Jose Mora & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Regional economic dynamics and convergence in the european union," Working Papers in Economics 12, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December.
- Bode, Eckhardt & Krieger-Boden, Christiane & Lammers, Konrad, 1994. "Cross-border activities, taxation and the European single market," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 799, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2002.
"Integration effects in border regions : a survey of economic theory and empirical studies,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
179, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Stiller, Silvia, 2002. "Integration effects in border regions - a survey of economic theory and empirical studies," ERSA conference papers ersa02p066, European Regional Science Association.
- Peter Spencer, 2001. "E-money: Will it Take Off?," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 2(1), pages 121-136, January.
- Volker Nitsch, 2000. "National borders and international trade: evidence from the European Union," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1091-1105, November.
- Krugman, Paul & Elizondo, Raul Livas, 1996.
"Trade policy and the Third World metropolis,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 137-150, April.
- Schwartz, Aba, 1973. "Interpreting the Effect of Distance on Migration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(5), pages 1153-69, Sept.-Oct.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1995.
"Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?,"
NBER Working Papers
5377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Deardorff, 1998. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Chapters, in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 7-32 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade : Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," Papers 95-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Straubhaar, Thomas, 2000. "Internationale Migration - Gehen oder Bleiben : wieso gehen wenige und bleiben die meisten?," HWWA Discussion Papers 111, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Burkert, Carola & Niebuhr, Annekatrin & Wapler, Rüdiger, 2007. "Regional disparities in employment of high-skilled foreigners: Determinants and options for migration policy in Germany," HWWI Research Papers 3-7, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Hecht, Veronika & Litzel, Nicole & Schäffler, Johannes, 2013. "The ReLOC project : method report for implementing a cross-border company survey in Germany and the Czech Republic," IAB-Forschungsbericht 201304, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wojcik, 2011.
"Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland,"
Review of Economic Analysis,
Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 3(1), pages 59-79, July.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wójcik, 2009. "Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland," Working Papers 2009-04, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Tyrowicz, Joanna & Wojcik, Piotr, 2009. "Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland," MPRA Paper 15384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pasztor Szabolcs, 2012. "Development Possibilities Of The Hungarian-Ukrainian," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 385-389, December.
- Bossler, Mario, 2013. "Recruiting abroad: the role of foreign affinity and labour market scarcity," IAB Discussion Paper 201319, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Ulrich Zierahn, 2012.
"The effect of market access on the labor market: Evidence from German reunification,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201239, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Zierahn, Ulrich, 2012. "The effect of market access on the labor market: Evidence from German reunification," HWWI Research Papers 131, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Nicolae, Mariana & Radu, Bridusa Mihaela, 2007. "Socio-economic efects of the Labor Force Migration in an enlarged Europe," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(2), pages 44-56, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.