Indeterminacy with Externalities and Capital Utilization
AbstractIn this paper, we present a dynamic general equilibrium model with two sectors: one aggregate firm produces consumption good and a second one investment good. We assume sector specific as well as aggregate ex- ternalities. Moreover, we account for variable capital utilization i.e. the depreciation rate is endogenously determined by the degree of capital ex- ploitation. We show that under mild conditions, multiple equilibria occur. Indeed, following Grandmont, Pintus and de Vilder (JET, 1998), we can identify the necessary conditions for which the economic dynamics does change stability. In our framework, the capital utilization improves the imperfection in production sectors, resulted from the specific and aggre- gate externalities. We show that endogenous fluctuations are more likely to appear as long as the sensitivity of the capital utilization is su¢ ciently high with respect to the capital. Further, this is true for low value of elasticity of factor substitution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne in its series Documents de recherche with number 08-14.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Externalities; Variable capital utilization; Indeterminacy; Bifurcations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1987. "Investment, Depreciation and Capital Utilization," Working Papers 87-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998.
"Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997. "Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles," CORE Discussion Papers 1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Harrison, Sharon & Weder, Mark, 2000. "Indeterminacy in a model with aggregate and sector-specific externalities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 173-179, November.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1996.
"Factor-Hoarding and the Propagation of Business-Cycle Shocks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1154-74, December.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994. "Factor Hoarding and the Propagation of Business Cycles Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jess Benhabib & Roger E.A. Farmer, 1992.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
646, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Indeterminacy with almost constant returns to scale: capital-labor substitution matters," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 633-649, 08.
- Harrison, Sharon G., 2001. "Indeterminacy in a model with sector-specific externalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 747-764, May.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Jess Benhabib & Alain Venditti, 2002.
"Indeterminacy and cycles in two-sector discrete-time model,"
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 217-235.
- Benhabib, J. & Nishimura, K. & Venditti, A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and Cycles in Two-Sector Discrete-Time Models," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a58, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Mark Bils & Jang-Ok Cho, 1993.
"Cyclical factor utilization,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
79, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David N. DeJong & Beth F. Ingram & Yi Wen & Charles H. Whiteman, 1996.
"Cyclical Implications of the Variable Utilization of Physical and Human Capital,"
- Ingram, B.F. & DeJong, D.N. & Whiteman, C.H. & Wen, Y., 1996. "Cyclical Implications of the Variable Utilization of Physical and Human Capital," Working Papers 96-12, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Taubman, Paul & Wilkinson, Maurice, 1970. "User Cost, Capital Utilization and Investment Theory," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(2), pages 209-15, June.
- Santanu Chatterjee, 2003.
"Capital Utilization, Economic Growth and Convergence,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
41, Society for Computational Economics.
- Chatterjee, Santanu, 2005. "Capital utilization, economic growth and convergence," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2093-2124, December.
- Harrison, Sharon G. & Weder, Mark, 2002. "Tracing externalities as sources of indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 851-867, May.
- Roger E.A. Farmer & Jang Ting Guo, 1992.
"Real Business Cycles and the Animal Spirits Hypothesis,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
680, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Farmer Roger E. A. & Guo Jang-Ting, 1994. "Real Business Cycles and the Animal Spirits Hypothesis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 42-72, June.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Harrison, Sharon G., 2001. "Indeterminacy with capital utilization and sector-specific externalities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 355-360, September.
- Wen, Yi, 1998. "Capacity Utilization under Increasing Returns to Scale," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Alain Venditti, 2006. "Capital Externalities in Two-Sector Models," Working Papers halshs-00410761, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.