Investment, Depreciation, And Capital Utilization
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to analyze the determinants of capital durability and utilization and their interdependence with investment decisions. The approach is based on the view that the flow of undepreciated capital is an output to be used in future production. At each date capital and non-capital inputs are combined to produce current output and the capital inputs to be used for future production. Thus capital accumulation occurs in a joint product context as two kinds of output are produced, one type for current sale and one type for future production. Another issue investigated in this paper concerns the allocation of resources within a firm between installing and utilizing capital and labor training activities. Often this problem is ignored in the theory of investment, not only because depreciation is exogenous, but also due to the treatment of labor as a variable factor of production. However, it is well recognized that firms cannot costlessly adjust labor. Thus the second purpose of this paper is to analyze the intertemporal relationship between the durability of capital and the growth rate of labor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 2571.
Date of creation: Apr 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1987.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-73, March.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Rosen, Sherwin, 1969. "Interrelated Factor Demand Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 457-71, Part I Se.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1973. "Generalized Costs of Adjustment and Dynamic Factor Demand Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 657-65, July.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Kenneth R, 1970. "Risk and the Optimal Utilization of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 253-59, April.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1983. "Investment, Labour Skills, and Variable Factor Utilization in the Theory of the Firm," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 463-79, August.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1981. "A Dynamic Model of Investment and Capacity Utilization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 96(3), pages 379-403, August.
- Foss, Murray F, 1981. "Long-Run Changes in the Workweek of Fixed Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 58-63, May.
- Winston, Gordon C & McCoy, Thomas O, 1974. "Investment and the Optimal Idleness of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 419-28, July.
- Betancourt, Roger R & Clague, Christopher K, 1978. "An Econometric Analysis of Capital Utilization," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(1), pages 211-27, February.
- Epstein, L. & Denny, M., 1980. "Endogenous capital utilization in a short-run production model : Theory and an empiral application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-207, February.
- Taubman, Paul & Wilkinson, Maurice, 1970. "User Cost, Capital Utilization and Investment Theory," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(2), pages 209-15, June.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1982. "Comparative dynamics in the adjustment-cost model of the firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 77-100, June.
- Mohanad Ismael & Francesco Magris, 2008. "Indeterminacy with Externalities and Capital Utilization," Documents de recherche 08-14, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2008119 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.