Why Are We Still Arguing about Globalisation
AbstractThis paper addresses the following question: why are we still arguing about globalisation? It analyses the recent evolution of debates relating to the impact of globalisation on poverty and economic growth in developing countries. A stock-take of selected cross-country econometric research is made and the ‘battle- lines’ drawn between globalisation ‘rampants’ or ‘spikeys’ - those who are unequivocally proglobalisation and globalisation ‘sceptics’ or ‘fluffies’ - those who find little or no evidence of the benefits of globalisation and are concerned about adverse impacts. Features of the literature are noted to inform the following section that focuses on how two large bodies of opposing ‘evidence’ can co-exist. Finally, in light of conceptual and methodological muddles, the historical experience of development in East Asia - a major ‘battleground’ in globalisation debates - is revisited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:538.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Globalisation; liberalisation; poverty; economic growth; Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:sae:niesru:v:145:y::i:1:p:43-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2004.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
Working Paper Research
53, National Bank of Belgium.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1998.
"Openness, Productivity and Growth: What Do We Really Know?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 383-98, March.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1997. "Openness, Productivity and Growth: What Do We Really Know?," NBER Working Papers 5978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milanovic, Branko, 2002.
"Can we discern the effect of globalization on income distribution? evidence from household budget surveys,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2876, The World Bank.
- Branko Milanovic, 2003. "CAN WE DISCERN THE EFFECT OF GLOBALIZATION ON INCOME DISTRIBUTION? Evidence from Household Budget Surveys," International Trade 0303004, EconWPA.
- Irwin, Douglas A. & Tervio, Marko, 2002.
"Does trade raise income?: Evidence from the twentieth century,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-18, October.
- Douglas A. Irwin & Marko Tervio, 2000. "Does Trade Raise Income? Evidence from the Twentieth Century," NBER Working Papers 7745, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2002.
"The world distribution of income (estimated from individual country distributions),"
Economics Working Papers
615, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2002.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2002. "The World Distribution of Income (estimated from Individual Country Distributions)," NBER Working Papers 8933, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2002. "The world distribution of income (estimated from individual country distributions)," Discussion Papers 0102-58, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, October.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Kiiski, Sampsa, 2001. "Trends in Income Distribution in the Post-World War II Period Evidence and Interpretation," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hali J. Edison & Ross Levine & Luca Ricci & Torsten Slok, 2002.
"International Financial Integration and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
9164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edison, Hali J. & Levine, Ross & Ricci, Luca & Slok, Torsten, 2002. "International financial integration and economic growth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 749-776, November.
- Torsten SlÃ¸k & Hali J. Edison & Luca Antonio Ricci & Ross Levine, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," IMF Working Papers 02/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Hertel, Thomas & Maros Ivanic & Paul Preckel & John Cranfield, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and the Structure of Poverty in Developing Countries," GTAP Working Papers 1207, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Branko Milanovic, 2003.
"The Two Faces Of Globalization: Against Globalization As We Know It,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Milanovic, Branko, 2003. "The Two Faces of Globalization: Against Globalization as We Know It," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 667-683, April.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 783-99, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Philip Arestis, 1996. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/16, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Michael W. Klein & Giovanni Olivei, 1999.
"Capital Account Liberalization, Financial Depth and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
7384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Klein & Giovanni Olivei, 1999. "Capital account liberalization, financial depth, and economic growth," Working Papers 99-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1992. "Measuring International Capital Mobility: A Review," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 197-202, May.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Capital Mobility and Economic Performance: Are Emerging Economies Different?," NBER Working Papers 8076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenaway, David & Morgan, Wyn & Wright, Peter, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 229-244, February.
- Deaton, A-S & Miller, R-I, 1995.
"International Commodity Prices, Macroeconomic Performance, and Politics in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Princeton Studies in International Economics
79, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Deaton, Angus & Miller, Ron, 1996. "International Commodity Prices, Macroeconomic Performance and Politics in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 5(3), pages 99-191, October.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," Working Papers 9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Lensink, R. & Morrissey, O., 2001. "Foreign direct investment: flows, volatility and growth in developing countries," Research Report 01E16, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Hali J. Edison & Michael W. Klein & Luca Ricci & Torsten Sloek, 2002.
"Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis,"
NBER Working Papers
9100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hali J. Edison & Michael W. Klein & Luca Antonio Ricci & Torsten Sløk, 2004. "Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Performance: Survey and Synthesis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 2.
- Lal, Deepak & Rajapatirana, Sarath, 1987. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 2(2), pages 189-217, July.
- J. Stiglitz, 1998. "More Instruments and Broader Goals: Moving toward the PostWashington Consensus," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Kenny, Charles & Williams, David, 2001. "What Do We Know About Economic Growth? Or, Why Don't We Know Very Much?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Reisen, Helmut & Soto, Marcelo, 2001. "Which Types of Capital Inflows Foster Developing-Country Growth?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, Spring.
- White, Howard, 2002. "Combining Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches in Poverty Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 511-522, March.
- Ana Cuadros & Vicente Orts & Maite Alguacil, 2004. "Openness and Growth: Re-Examining Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Output Linkages in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 167-192.
- Steve Dowrick & Muhammad Akmal, 2005. "Contradictory Trends In Global Income Inequality: A Tale Of Two Biases ," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(2), pages 201-229, 06.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1993. "The Political Economy of Industrial Policy in Korea," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 131-57, June.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- E. Santarelli & P. Figini, 2002. "Does Globalization Reduce Poverty? Some Empirical Evidence for the Developing Countries," Working Papers 459, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.