The Impact of the Commonwealth Games 2010 on Urban Development of Delhi -An Analysis with a Historical Perspective from Worldwide Experiences and the 1982 Asian Games
AbstractThe paper raises some hard questions that need to be answered before one can conclude that events such as Common Wealth Games has a positive effect on the host community. Can the financial requirements for such an event be possible to generate? Some other questions that arise out of such events, with particular relevance in this paper, is its impact on the urban scenario. Will the event lead to rampant and unchecked development, possibly unplanned? Will the infrastructure created be beneficial post-event or will it remain under utilised? Will the cityâ€™s infrastructure be able to bear the strain of additional visitors that flood the city during such an event? Will the event prove to be a hindrance to the cityâ€™s residents during the event? [Working paper No. 06- 12].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2456.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
city; Asian Games; Commonwealth Games; Olympics; Sports Authority of India; Sports facility structure; Ministry of Youth Affairs; sports infrastructure; development; financial requirements; urban scenario; community; infrastructure; sports event;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-03-28 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-SPO-2010-03-28 (Sports & Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2010-03-28 (Tourism Economics)
- NEP-URE-2010-03-28 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, 2003.
"Mega-Sporting Events in Developing Nations : Playing the Way to Prosperity?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2003-17, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, 2004. "Mega-Sporting Events In Developing Nations: Playing The Way To Prosperity?," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(5), pages 1085-1096, December.
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, . "Mega-Sporting Events in Developing Nations: Playing the way to Prosperity?," Center for Development Economics 174, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Victor Matheson & Robert Baade, 2004. "Mega-Sporting Events in Developing Nations: Playing the Way to Prosperity?," Working Papers 0404, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2000. "Bidding for the Olympics: Fools Gold?," IASE Conference Papers 0007, International Association of Sports Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.