Fuel Poverty in Ireland: Extent, Affected Groups and Policy Issues
AbstractThis paper provides updated estimates for the scale of fuel poverty in the Republic of Ireland using two measures: one based on fuel expenditure as a share of income and the other based on self-reported deprivation. It also presents modelling results as to the characteristics of households most vulnerable to fuel poverty, examines the potential effects of future fuel price changes, outlines policies in place in Ireland and other countries, and discusses policy issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP262.
Length: 73 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Callan & Sean Lyons & Sue Scott & Richard S. J. Tol & Stefano Verde, 2008.
"The Distributional Implications of a Carbon Tax in Ireland,"
WP250, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Callan, Tim & Lyons, Sean & Scott, Susan & Tol, Richard S.J. & Verde, Stefano, 2009. "The distributional implications of a carbon tax in Ireland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 407-412, February.
- Clinch, J. Peter & Healy, John D., 2001. "Cost-benefit analysis of domestic energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 113-124, January.
- Susan Scott, 1996. "Social Welfare Fuel Allowances...To Heat the Sky?," Papers WP074, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Conniffe, Denis, 2000. "Household Energy Expenditures: Policy Relevant Information from the Household Budget Survey," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS37, December.
- Diffney, Seán & Lyons, Seán & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura, 2013. "Evaluation of the effect of the Power of One campaign on natural gas consumption," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 978-988.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.