Globalization, entrepreneurship and the region
AbstractThe present document analyzes the linkages between globalization, entrepreneurship and the role of regions. After dealing with the meaning of globalization, the regional dimension of the response to globalization is described where downsizing, knowledge spillovers and agglomeration are the essential phenomena. Next, it is shown how these developments have led to the emergence of new entrepreneurial activities. Subsequently, more details are given on the effects of the information and communication (ICT) revolution on the organization of industry in a globalized economy. Finally, it is concluded that policies promoting both knowledge investments as well as entrepreneurship have become prominent for many regions in the most developed countries. �
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EIM Business and Policy Research in its series Scales Research Reports with number H201201.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 09 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-01-18 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2012-01-18 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2012-01-18 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SBM-2012-01-18 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2012-01-18 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bottazzi, Laura & Peri, Giovanni, 2003.
"Innovation and spillovers in regions: Evidence from European patent data,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 687-710, August.
- Laura Bottazzi & Giovanni Peri, . "Innovation and Spillovers in Regions: Evidence from European Patent Data," Working Papers 215, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- David Audretsch & Patrick Houweling & A. Thurik, 2000. "Firm Survival in the Netherlands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Zoltan J. Acs & David B. Audretsch & Pontus Braunerhjelm & Bo Carlsson, 2005.
"The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-27, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Zoltan Acs & Pontus Braunerhjelm & David Audretsch & Bo Carlsson, 2009. "The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," CEPR Discussion Papers 5326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acs, Zoltan & Audrestch, David & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2007. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 77, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001.
"Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey,"
LIUC Papers in Economics
84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000. "Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Audretsch, David B & Stephan, Paula E, 1996. "Company-Scientist Locational Links: The Case of Biotechnology," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 641-52, June.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, June.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Armstrong, Jeff, 1998. "Geographically Localized Knowledge: Spillovers or Markets?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 65-86, January.
- Nooteboom, B., 1993. "Firm size effects on transaction costs," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-376115, Tilburg University.
- Audretsch, David B. & van Leeuwen, George & Menkveld, Bert & Thurik, Roy, 2001. "Market dynamics in the Netherlands: Competition policy and the role of small firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 795-821, April.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.