Long-Run Structural and Productivity Change in U.S. Agriculture: Effects of Prices and Policies
AbstractLong-Run Structural and Productivity Change in U.S. Agriculture: Effects of Prices and Policies by Wallace E. Huffman and Robert E. Evenson The paper presents (1) a conceptual framework for structural change when farms may be multiproduct or specialized and (2) an econometrics examination of causes of structural and total factor productivity (TFP) change for U.S. agriculture. Farm size, farm specialization, and part-time farming are the structural dimension emphasized, and they become potential channels to TFP change. Using state aggregate data starting in 1950, we conclude that input prices, public and private research, public extension, and government commodity programs have directly and indirectly caused change in U.S. farm structure and TFP. Our results suggest that changes in farm size, however, have been dominated by input price changes rather than by technology or government programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Growth Center, Yale University in its series Working Papers with number 773.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Jun 1997
Date of revision:
farm structure; productivity; farm size; farm specialization; part-time farming; research; technical change; agriculture;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace E., 1991. "Agricultural Household Models: Survey and Critique," Staff General Research Papers 11008, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E, 1980.
"Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 14-23, February.
- Huffman, Wallace, 1980. "Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital," Staff General Research Papers 10973, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ellen Goddard & Alfons Weersink & Kevin Chen & Calum G. Turvey, 1993. "Economics of Structural Change in Agriculture," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(4), pages 475-489, December.
- V. Eldon Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Richard Nehring & Agapi Somwaru, 1997. "Agricultural Productivity Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1045-1063.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- M. Rose Olfert, 1992. "Nonfarm, Employment as a Response to Underemployment in Agriculture," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 40(3), pages 443-458, November.
- Alfons Weersink, 1992. "Off-farm Labor Decisions by Ontario Swine Producers," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 40(2), pages 235-251, 07.
- Wallace HUFFMAN, 1996. "Farm Labor: Key Conceptual And Measurement Issues On The Route To Better Farm Cost And Return Estimates," Staff Papers 280, Iowa State University Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1990. "Nonparametric and Semiparametric Estimation: An Analysis of Multiproduct Returns to Scale," Staff General Research Papers 11262, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kislev, Yoav & Peterson, Willis, 1982. "Prices, Technology, and Farm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(3), pages 578-95, June.
- Huffman, Wallace E., 1996. "Labor Markets, Human Capital, and the Human Agent's Share of Production," Staff General Research Papers 5391, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Darragh Clancy & A. Kazukauskas & C. Newman & Fiona Thorne, 2009. "An investigation of the level of structural change in the agrifood sector of Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands," Working Papers 0915, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Villano, Renato & Fleming, Euan & Fleming, Pauline, 2010. "Evidence of farm-level synergies in mixed-farming systems in the Australian Wheat-Sheep Zone," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 146-152, March.
- Zhang, Xinxin & Van der Sluis, Evert, 2006. "U.S. Agricultural Labor Out-migration Determinants, 1939-2004," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21412, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Temel, Tugrul, 2011. "New facts for old debates: Farm size and productivity in US agriculture," MPRA Paper 31920, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Danishevsky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.