Political Risk, Economic Integration, and the Foreign Direct Investment Decision
AbstractIn this paper we analyse the impact of policy uncertainty on foreign direct investment strategies. We also consider the impact of economic integration upon FDI decisions. The paper follows the real options approach, which allows investigating the value to a firm of waiting to invest and/or disinvest, when payoffs are stochastic due to political uncertainty and investments are partially reversible. Across the board we find that political uncertainty can be very detrimental to FDI decisions while economic integration leads to an increasing benefit of investing abroad.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE) in its series SIRE Discussion Papers with number 2008-06.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Political Risk; Real Options; Investment; Foreign Direct Investment;
Other versions of this item:
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke, 2007. "Political Risk, Economic Integration, and the Foreign Direct Investment Decision," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 208, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993.
"Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1148, The World Bank.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Brenton, Paul & Gros, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Reorientation and Recovery in Transition Economies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 65-76, Summer.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Ephraim Clark, 2003. "Pricing the Cost of Expropriation Risk," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 412-422, 05.
- Brenton, Paul & Di Mauro, Francesca, 1999. "The Potential Magnitude and Impact of FDI flows to CEECs," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 59-74.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1991.
"Policy uncertainty and private investment in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 229-242, October.
- Dani Rodrik, 1989. "Policy Uncertainty and Private Investment in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 2999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory J. Brock, 1998. "Foreign direct investment in Russia's regions 1993-95. Why so little and where has it gone?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 6(2), pages 349-360, November.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2010.
"Optimal Investment and Financial Strategies under Tax Rate Uncertainty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3017, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo M. Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2011. "Optimal Investment and Financial Strategies under Tax‐Rate Uncertainty," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(4), pages 438-468, November.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2009. "Optimal investment and financial strategies under tax rate uncertainty," Working Papers 0912, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Alessandro Fedele & Paolo M. Panteghini & Sergio Vergalli, 2010. "Optimal Investment and Financial Strategies under Tax Rate Uncertainty," Working Papers 2010.68, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.