Efficiency and Equity Effects of Taxing the Financial Sector: Lessons from a CGE Model for Belgium
AbstractThis paper assesses the effects of applying VAT or a sales tax on (intermediate or final) sales of the financial sector. It uses a CGE Model calibrated for a small open economy. It highlights the differentiated sectoral and redistributional effects of these taxes and shows the importance of the financial openness of the economy on these results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers ECARES with number ecares 2013-01.
Length: 28 p.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
taxation; financial sector; VAT; sales tax; modeling; Belgium;
Other versions of this item:
- Chisari, Omar & Estache, Antonio & Nicodème, Gaëtan, 2013. "Efficiency and Equity Effects of Taxing the Financial Sector: Lessons from a CGE Model for Belgium," CEPR Discussion Papers 9320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2013-03-02 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-03-02 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2013-03-02 (Public Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.