Measures for Assessing Basic Education in the Philippines
AbstractThe second goal of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) is to achieve universal primary education. The target is to reach all the MDGs by 2015. Trends in education indicators for monitoring the second MDG suggest that Philippines may probably not meet the target on achieving universal primary education. Indicators that monitor gender disparity in primary and secondary education suggest that females are at an advantage over males. In this paper, various education indicators sourced from administrative reporting systems and surveys are looked into for assessing basic education in the country. Issues on the lack of comparability of figures from reporting systems, on the need to improve dissemination of education statistics, and on the need to properly link data with policy through a systematic monitoring and evaluation system are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Development Economics Working Papers with number 22656.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
MDGs; education indicators; monitoring and evaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- H74 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Borrowing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tabuga, Aubrey D. & Mina, Christian D. & Reyes, Celia M. & Asis, Ronina D., 2013. "Promoting Inclusive Growth through the 4Ps," Discussion Papers DP 2013-09, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. & Ramos, Andre Philippe, 2010. "Trends in Household Vulnerability," Discussion Papers DP 2010-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Jose Ramon G. Albert & Andre Philippe Ramos, 2010. "Trends in Household Vulnerability," Development Economics Working Papers 22805, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.