On The Comparative Evaluation Of Agricultural Income Distributions In The European Union
AbstractThe paper reports a set of operational rules for ranking income distributions that could be used, given appropriate data, to address a range of policy issues concerning the economic welfare of the agricultural community, the comparability of agricultural and non-agricultural incomes, and the extent and depth of poverty in farming. The rules are based on stochastic dominance procedures and are consistent with social preferences for higher incomes and a more equal distribution of income. Their application is illustrated by means of a comparative analysis of the farm family income situation in the member states of the European Union based on Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN) data. The inadequacy of FADN data as a basis for inferences about welfare and poverty of farm households is stressed. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Studies, University of Dundee in its series Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics with number 093.
Date of creation: Nov 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Allanson, Paul & Hubbard, Lionel, 1999. "On the Comparative Evaluation of Agricultural Income Distributions in the European Union," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(1), pages 1-17, March.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howes, Stephen, 1996. "The Influence of Aggregation on the Ordering of Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages 253-72, May.
- Soares, Fernando Brito, 1988. "Some Reflections on the Reform of CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 109-12.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Zioganas, Christos M, 1988. "Defining and Determining a 'Fair' Standard of Living for the Farm Family," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 55-65.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Statistical Inference in the Measurement of Poverty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 632-39, November.
- Foster, James E. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1988. "Inequality and poverty orderings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 654-661, March.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Social Welfare Dominance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 200-204, May.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Beach, Charles M. & Chow, K. Victor & Formby, John P. & Slotsve, George A., 1994. "Statistical inference for decile means," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 161-167, June.
- John A. Bishop & John P. Formby & W. James Smith, 1993. "International Comparisons of Welfare and Poverty: Dominance Orderings for Ten Countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 707-26, August.
- Beach, Charles M & Davidson, Russell, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 723-35, October.
- Cowell, Frank A & Mehta, Fatemeh, 1982. "The Estimation and Interpolation of Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 273-90, April.
- Hill, Berkeley, 2005. "Institutional Units and Agricultural Statistics," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24410, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hopkins, Jeffrey W. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2000. "Distributional Analysis Of U.S. Farm Household Income," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36517, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Gundersen, Craig, 2002. "The Well-Being and the Decisions of Farm Households: The Uses of Cross-Country Comparisons," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15724, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.