Can Stock Price Fundamentals Properly be Captured?: Using Markov Switching in Heteroskedasticity Models to Test Identification Schemes
AbstractStructural identification schemes are of essential importance to vector autoregressive (VAR) analysis. This paper tests a commonly used structural parameter identification scheme to assess whether it can properly capture fundamental and non-fundamental shocks to stock prices. In particular, five related structural models, which are widely used in the literature on assessing stock price determinants are considered. They are either specified in vector error correction (VEC) or in VAR form. Restrictions on the long-run effects matrix are used to identify the structural parameters. These identifying restrictions are tested by means of a Markov switching in heteroskedasticity model. It is found that for two of the five models considered, the long-run identification scheme appropriately classifies shocks as being either fundamental or non-fundamental. A series of robustness tests are performed, which largely confirm the initial findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 1350.
Length: 29 p.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Markov switching model; vector autoregression; vector error correction; heteroskedasticity; stock prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-01-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2014-01-17 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ORE-2014-01-17 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laopodis, Nikiforos T., 2009. "Are fundamentals still relevant for European economies in the post-Euro period?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 835-850, September.
- Nicolaas Groenewold, 2004. "Fundamental share prices and aggregate real output," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 651-661.
- Markku Lanne & Helmut Luetkepohl & Katarzyna Maciejowska, 2009.
"Structural Vector Autoregressions with Markov Switching,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2009/06, European University Institute.
- Lanne, Markku & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Maciejowska, Katarzyna, 2010. "Structural vector autoregressions with Markov switching," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 121-131, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, September.
- Helmut Herwartz & Helmut Luetkepohl, 2011. "Structural Vector Autoregressions with Markov Switching: Combining Conventional with Statistical Identification of Shocks," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/11, European University Institute.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2001.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with structural shifts,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,82, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lutkepohl, Helmut, 2000. "Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with Structural Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 451-64, October.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 1998. "Permanent, Temporary, and Non-Fundamental Components of Stock Prices," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 1-32, March.
- Binswanger, Mathias, 2000. "Stock market booms and real economic activity: Is this time different?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 387-415, October.
- Rapach, David E., 2001. "Macro shocks and real stock prices," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 5-26.
- Zacharias Psaradakis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2006. "Joint Determination of the State Dimension and Autoregressive Order for Models with Markov Regime Switching," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 753-766, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.