Structural Vector Autoregressions with Markov Switching: Combining Conventional with Statistical Identification of Shocks
AbstractIn structural vector autoregressive (SVAR) analysis a Markov regime switching (MS) property can be exploited to identify shocks if the reduced form error covariance matrix varies across regimes. Unfortunately, these shocks may not have a meaningful structural economic interpretation. It is discussed how statistical and conventional identifying information can be combined. The discussion is based on a VAR model for the US containing oil prices, output, consumer prices and a short-term interest rate. The system has been used for studying the causes of the early millennium economic slowdown based on traditional identi¯cation with zero and long-run restrictions and using sign restrictions. We find that previously drawn conclusions are questionable in our framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2011/11.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Vector autoregressive model; Markov process; EM algorithm; impulse responses;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aleksei NETSUNAJEV, 2012.
"Reaction to Technology Shocks in Markov-Switchings Structural VARs: Identification via heteroskedasticity,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2012/13, European University Institute.
- Netsunajev, Aleksei, 2013. "Reaction to technology shocks in Markov-switching structural VARs: Identification via heteroskedasticity," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 51-62.
- Aleksei Netšunajev, 2013. "Reaction to technology shocks in Markov-switching structural VARs: identification via heteroskedasticity," Bank of Estonia Working Papers wp2012-6, Bank of Estonia, revised 03 Jan 2013.
- Anton Velinov, 2013. "Can Stock Price Fundamentals Properly be Captured?: Using Markov Switching in Heteroskedasticity Models to Test Identification Schemes," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1350, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kohonen, Anssi, 2013. "On detection of volatility spillovers in overlapping stock markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 140-158.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.