Wages, the Terms of Trade, and the Exchange Rate Regime
AbstractThis paper analyzes a two-commodity short-run macroeconomic model under fixed and flexible exchange rates. Goods are disaggregated into imports and exports. Both are consumed domestically, but only the latter is produced at home. While imports are available in international markets at a fixed price, relative size matters in that the country's specialized export good faces a less than infinitely elastic foreign demand. The seemingly natural disaggregation used here yields a model that is better suited than traditional models for the analysis of such problems as imported inflation and for flexible exchange rates. Also, the terms of trade is explicit and hence easily distinguished from the exchange rate, and the model can be used to illustrate the relationship between the elasticities, absorption and monetary approaches. A common theme in the contemporary literature on flexible exchange rates is that the exchange rate is determined by financial portfolio decisions; a key assumption implicit in such models is that changes in the exchange rate have no real effects, even in the short run. The present approach imposes more structure on the problem by introducing possible short-run real effects of the exchange rate due to less than infinitely elastic export demand and explicitly specified domestic supply. The stability and comparative static properties of the model are shown to depend crucially on the specification of aggregate supply and the behavior of wages, in addition to relative size, and it is surprising that so little attention has been paid in the literature to this issue.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 438.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 1976
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Canadian Public Policy (Spring 1977), 11(2): 205-218
Note: CFP 445.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1979. "Short- and Long-Run Effects of Monetary and Fiscal Policies under Flexible Exchange Rates and Perfect Capital Mobility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 176-82, March.
- Niehans, Jurg, 1975. "Some doubts about the efficacy of monetary policy under flexible exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 275-281, August.
- Ronald E. Findlay & Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1977. "Intermediate Imports and Macroeconomic Policy under Flexible Exchange Rates," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 208-17, May.
- Mussa, Michael, 1976. " The Exchange Rate, the Balance of Payments and Monetary and Fiscal Policy under a Regime of Controlled Floating," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 229-48.
- Blinder, Alan S. & Solow, Robert M., 1973. "Does fiscal policy matter?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 319-337.
- R. Dornbusch, 1975.
"The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy,"
165, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. " The Theory of Flexible Exchange Rate Regimes and Macroeconomic Policy," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 255-75.
- Kouri, Pentti J K, 1976. " The Exchange Rate and the Balance of Payments in the Short Run and in the Long Run: A Monetary Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 280-304.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.