Home Country Effects of Investing Abroad: Evidence from Quantile Regressions
AbstractHome country effects of domestic firms investing abroad have been a highly debated issue. Overall, the results of a number of empirical studies seem not to support the fear that MNEs are exporting domestic production and/or jobs; however the issue should be examined more deeply. In particular, following the recent theoretical and empirical literature on firm heterogeneity, an important point that should be investigated is whether the impact of outward FDI on the performance of parent firms might differ according to their level of productivity or their size. Using quantile regressions and a data set for Italian firms investing abroad, this paper shows that the impact of international expansion on parents’ performance (measured in terms of total factor productivity, labour productivity and employment) varies across firms in different quantiles of the performance distribution and across foreign affiliates’ geographical locations. In particular, quantile regressions seem to show that firms throughout the productivity distribution do not benefit from FDI in Less Developed Countries. Differently, parent firms in the upper quantiles of productivity seem to be positively affected by foreign expansion in Developed Countries. As for employment, only small firms seem to be negatively influenced by outward FDI. Finally, measures of multinational experience influence positively and significantly parent firms across quantiles of productivity and employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy in its series KITeS Working Papers with number 170.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision: Jun 2005
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano - Italy
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2005.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Spillovers and Absorptive Capacity: Evidence from Quantile Regressions,"
Kiel Working Papers
1248, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sourafel Girma, & Holger Görg, 2003. "Foreign direct investmant, spillovers and absorptive capacity: Evidence from quantile regressions," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp01, IIIS.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2005. "Foreign direct investment, spillovers and absorptive capacity: evidence from quantile regressions," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, .
"International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-skilled Labour in the EU,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2006. "International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2003.
"Heterogeneity and the FDI versus export decision of Japanese manufacturers,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 448-467, December.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2003. "Heterogeneity and the FDI versus Export Decision of Japanese Manufacturers," NBER Working Papers 10052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R & Maskus, Keith E, 2002.
"Discriminating among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 694-707, November.
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1999. "Discriminating Among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise," NBER Working Papers 7164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Castellani, Davide, 2004.
"Investments Abroad and Performance at Home: Evidence from Italian Multinationals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani, 2003. "Investments Abroad and Performance at Home Evidence from Italian Multinationals," Development Working Papers 180, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Mata, Jose & Machado, Jose A. F., 1996. "Firm start-up size: A conditional quantile approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1305-1323, June.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm & Karen Knarvik, 2001. "In search of FDI-transmitted R&D spillovers: A study based on Swedish data," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(4), pages 644-665, December.
- David Powell & Joachim Wagner, 2010.
"The Exporter Productivity Premium along the Productivity Distribution: First Evidence from a Quantile Regression Approach for Fixed Effects Panel Data Models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
182, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Powell, David & Wagner, Joachim, 2010. "The Exporter Productivity Premium along the Productivity Distribution: First Evidence from a Quantile Regression Approach for Fixed Effects Panel Data Models," IZA Discussion Papers 5112, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cesare Imbriani & Rosanna Pittiglio & Filippo Reganati, 2011. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Performance: the Italian Manufacturing and Services Sectors," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(4), pages 369-381, December.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011.
"From Estimation Results to Stylized Facts Twelve Recommendations for Empirical Research in International Activities of Heterogeneous Firms,"
Springer, vol. 159(4), pages 389-412, December.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2010. "From Estimation Results to Stylized Facts: Twelve Recommendations for Empirical Research in International Activities of Heterogeneous Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 5175, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2010. "From estimation results to stylized facts. Twelve recommendations for empirical research in international activities of heterogeneous firms," Working Paper Series in Economics 186, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Martin Falk & Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2010. "The substitutability between parent company and foreign affiliate employment in Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 87-100, February.
- Maria Rosaria Ferrante & Marzia Freo, 2012. "The Total Factor Productivity Gap between Internationalised and Domestic Firms: Net Premium or Heterogeneity Effect?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(9), pages 1186-1214, 09.
- Kokko, Ari, 2006. "The Home Country Effects Of Fdi In Developed Economies," EIJS Working Paper Series 225, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- David Powell & Joachim Wagner, 2011. "The Exporter Productivity Premium along the Productivity Distribution: Evidence from Unconditional Quantile Regression with Firm Fixed Effects," Working Papers 837, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Martin Falk & Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2008. "The Impact of Outward FDI in Central and Eastern Europe on Employment in the EU-15 Countries," FIW Research Reports series I-016, FIW.
- Tomaso Pompili & Michela Martinoia, 2011. "Building Synthetic Indicators For Aspects Of Territorial Capital Towards Their Impact On Regional Performance," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1528, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.