The Exporter Productivity Premium along the Productivity Distribution: First Evidence from a Quantile Regression Approach for Fixed Effects Panel Data Models
AbstractAn emerging literature on international activities of heterogeneous firms documents that exporting firms are more productive than firms that only sell on the national market. This positive exporter productivity premium shows up in a large number of empirical studies after controlling for observed and unobserved firm characteristics in regression models including firm fixed effects. These studies test for a difference in productivity between exporters and non-exporters at the conditional mean of the productivity distribution. However, if firms are heterogeneous, it is possible that the size of the premium varies over the productivity distribution. In this paper we apply a newly developed estimator for fixed-effects quantile regression models to estimate the exporter productivity premium at quantiles of the productivity distribution for manufacturing enterprises in Germany, one of the leading actors in the world market for goods. We show that the premium decreases over the quantiles – a dimension of firm heterogeneity that cannot be detected through mean regression.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 182.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html
Exporter productivity premium; quantile regression; fixed effects;
Other versions of this item:
- Powell, David & Wagner, Joachim, 2010. "The Exporter Productivity Premium along the Productivity Distribution: First Evidence from a Quantile Regression Approach for Fixed Effects Panel Data Models," IZA Discussion Papers 5112, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-09-03 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2010-09-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2010-09-03 (International Trade)
- NEP-OPM-2010-09-03 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- Gamper-Rabindran, Shanti & Khan, Shakeeb & Timmins, Christopher, 2010. "The impact of piped water provision on infant mortality in Brazil: A quantile panel data approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 188-200, July.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, October.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & Chad Syverson, 2005.
"Reallocation, Firm Turnover, and Efficiency: Selection on Productivity or Profitability?,"
NBER Working Papers
11555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & Chad Syverson, 2008. "Reallocation, Firm Turnover, and Efficiency: Selection on Productivity or Profitability?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 394-425, March.
- Foster, Lucia & Haltiwanger, John C. & Syverson, Chad, 2005. "Reallocation, Firm Turnover, and Efficiency: Selection on Productivity or Profitability?," IZA Discussion Papers 1705, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & Chad Syverson, 2005. "Reallocation, Firm Turnover, and Efficiency: Selection on Productivity or Profitability?," Working Papers 05-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Yasar, Mahmut & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2007. "International linkages and productivity at the plant level: Foreign direct investment, exports, imports and licensing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 373-388, April.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2007. "Firm heterogeneity, exporting and foreign direct investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F134-F161, 02.
- Bloom, Nick & Van Reenen, John, 2010.
"Why do management practices differ across firms and countries? ,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
CEPOP26, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Why Do Management Practices Differ across Firms and Countries?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 203-24, Winter.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Why do Management Practices Differ Across Firms and Countries?," CEP Occasional Papers 26, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Francesco Serti & Chiara Tomasi, 2009. "Self-selection along different export and import markets," LEM Papers Series 2009/18, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Mahmut Yasar & Carl H. Nelson & Roderick Rejesus, 2003.
"Productivity and Exporting Status of Manufacturing Firms: Evidence from Quantile Regressions,"
0323, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Mahmut Yasar & Carl H. Nelson & Roderick Rejesus, 2006. "Productivity and Exporting Status of Manufacturing Firms: Evidence from Quantile Regressions," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 675-694, December.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- International Study Group on Exports and Productivity (ISGEP), 2008.
"Understanding Cross-Country Differences in Exporter Premia: Comparable Evidence for 14 Countries,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(4), pages 596-635, December.
- Wagner, Joachim & Van Biesebroeck, Jo, 2008. "Understanding cross-country differences in export premia - Comparable evidence for 14 countries," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/199893, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Anna Maria Falzoni & Mara Grasseni, 2005. "Home Country Effects of Investing Abroad: Evidence from Quantile Regressions," KITeS Working Papers 170, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.