Prudence fiscale, indicateurs d'endettement et évolution de l'état des finances des administrations publiques au Canada
AbstractCe texte discute de la mesure, des causes et des conséquences de l'endettement public et revoit divers indicateurs d'endettement, de solvabilité et de prudence fiscale. Après avoir présenté une analyse descriptive et comparative de la situation de la dette publique des gouvernements au Canada et ailleurs dans le monde, nous évaluons la solvabilité des gouvernements au Canada. Finalement, nous construisons des indicateurs de prudence fiscale pour les gouvernements fédéral et québécois qui révèlent dans quelle mesure les politiques financières poursuivies ont été insoutenables. This paper discusses the measurement, the causes and the implication of public indebtedness. Several indicators of indebtedness, solvency and fiscal prudence are also reviewed. Having presented a descriptive and comparative analysis of public indebtedness of the various levels of government in Canada and elsewhere, we assess the solvency of governments in Canada. Finally, we construct indicators of fiscal prudence for the Federal and the Quebec governments that reveal to which extent the fiscal policies that were followed were unsustainable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal in its series Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers with number 59.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Feb 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 8888, Downtown Station, Montreal (Canada) Quebec, H3C 3P8
Phone: (514) 987-6181
Fax: (514) 987-8494
Web page: http://ideas.uqam.ca/CREFE/
More information through EDIRC
Public debt; Fiscal prudence; Canada;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- H62 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Deficit; Surplus
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1986. "Principles of fiscal and monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 117-134, January.
- Chris Carroll & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990.
"Why Have Private Saving Rates in the United States and Canada Diverged?,"
NBER Working Papers
2319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carroll, Chris & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987. "Why have private savings rates in the United States and Canada diverged?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-279, September.
- Paul Fenton & Alain Paquet, 1997. "Politiques économiques et intégration des marchés financiers: que pouvons-nous apprendre des différentiels de taux d'intérêt?," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 52, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Plosser, Charles I., 1987. "Fiscal policy and the term structure," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 343-367, September.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- James D. Hamilton & Marjorie A. Flavin, 1985.
"On the Limitations of Government Borrowing: A Framework for Empirical Testing,"
NBER Working Papers
1632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamilton, James D & Flavin, Marjorie A, 1986. "On the Limitations of Government Borrowing: A Framework for EmpiricalTesting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 808-19, September.
- Perron, P. & Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Does Gnp Have a Unit Root? a Reevaluation,"
Cahiers de recherche
8640, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Buiter, Willem H & Patel, U, 1990.
"Debt, Deficits and Inflation: An Application to the Public Finance of India,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
408, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Patel, Urjit R., 1992. "Debt, deficits, and inflation: An application to the public finances of India," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 171-205, March.
- Willem H. Buiter & Urjit R. Patel, 1992. "Debt, Deficits and Inflation: An Application to the Public Finances of India," NBER Working Papers 3287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Abel & N. Gregory Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1989.
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
2097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, . "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Nouriel Roubini, 1991.
"Fiscal Deficits, Public Debt and Government Solvency: Evidence from OECD Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1991. "Fiscal deficits, public debt, and government solvency: Evidence from OECD countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 354-380, December.
- Seater, John J, 1993. "Ricardian Equivalence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 142-90, March.
- Preston J. Miller & William Roberds, 1992. "How little we know about deficit policy effects," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-11.
- Ahmed, Shaghil & Rogers, John H., 1995.
"Government budget deficits and trade deficits Are present value constraints satisfied in long-term data?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 351-374, November.
- Ahmed, S. & Rogers, J.H., 1993. "Government Budget Deficits and Trade Deficits: Are Present Value Constraints Satisfied in Long-Term Data?," Papers 5-93-6, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Shaghil Ahmed & John H. Rogers, 1995. "Government budget deficits and trade deficits: are present value constraints satisfied in long-term data?," International Finance Discussion Papers 494, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1997.
"The optimum quantity of debt,"
203, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Evans, Paul, 1987. "Do budget deficits raise nominal interest rates? : Evidence from six countries," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 281-300, September.
- Trostel, Philip A., 1993. "The nonequivalence between deficits and distortionary taxation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 207-227, April.
- Bohn, H., 1990.
"The Sutainability Of Budget Deficits In A Stochastic Economy,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
6-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Bohn, Henning, 1995. "The Sustainability of Budget Deficits in a Stochastic Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 257-71, February.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995. "Optimal Debt Management," NBER Working Papers 5327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Government financing decisions and asset returns," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 325-352.
- Paul Fenton & Alain Paquet, 1997. "International Interest Rate Differentials: The Interaction with Fiscal and Monetary Variables, and the Business Cycle," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 56, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal, revised Jan 1998.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stéphane Pallage).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.