Spillovers from the Euro Area Sovereign Debt Crisis: A Macroeconometric Model Based Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyzes past and possible future spillovers from the Euro Area Sovereign Debt Crisis, both within the Euro Area and to the rest of the world. This analysis is based on a structural macroeconometric model of the world economy, disaggregated into fifteen national economies. We find that macroeconomic and financial market spillovers have been small outside of countries with high trade or financial exposures, but that they could become large if severe financial stress were to spread beyond Greece, Ireland and Portugal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 8497.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-08-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-08-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-08-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2011-08-02 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael G. Arghyrou & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2011.
"The EMU sovereign-debt crisis: Fundamentals, expectations and contagion,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
436, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & Alexandros Kontonikas, 2010. "The EMU sovereign-debt crisis: Fundamentals, expectations and contagion," Working Papers 2010_25, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Arghyrou, Michael G. & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2011. "The EMU sovereign-debt crisis: fundamentals, expectations and contagion," SIRE Focus Papers 2011-01, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Arghyrou, Michael G. & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2010. "The EMU sovereign-debt crisis: Fundamentals, expectations and contagion," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-81, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Arghyrou, Michael G & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2010. "The EMU sovereign-debt crisis: Fundamentals, expectations and contagion," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2010/9, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Klein, Paul, 2000. "Using the generalized Schur form to solve a multivariate linear rational expectations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1405-1423, September.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Schulz, Alexander & Wolff, Guntram B., 2010.
"Banking and sovereign risk in the euro area,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Francis Vitek, 2009. "Monetary Policy Analysis and Forecasting in the World Economy: A Panel Unobserved Components Approach," IMF Working Papers 09/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2012. "Integration of European Bond Markets," CREATES Research Papers 2012-33, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Christian Schmieder & Tidiane Kinda & Nassim N. Taleb & Elena Loukoianova & Elie Canetti, 2012. "A New Heuristic Measure of Fragility and Tail Risks: Application to Stress Testing," IMF Working Papers 12/216, International Monetary Fund.
- Andreas A. Jobst & Li L. Ong & Christian Schmieder, 2013. "A Framework for Macroprudential Bank Solvency Stress Testing: Application to S-25 and Other G-20 Country FSAPs," IMF Working Papers 13/68, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.